1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Interpreting equivalence classes geometrically

1. Nov 9, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

For (x, y) and U, v) in R2, define (x,y)~(u,v) if x2+y2 = u2+v2. Prove that ~ defines an equivalence relation on R2 and interpret the equivalence classes geometrically.

2. Relevant equations

(none)

3. The attempt at a solution

The first part is easy. I proved transitivity, reflexivity, and symmetry as per the definition of an equivalence. I'm a little confused how to do so geometrically. Since x2 + y2 can represent the Pythagorean identity, I'm assuming the proof involves triangles. I understand that the properties of an equivalency (trans, reflect, and sym) can resemble triangle congruence and similarity, but I'm not quite so sure how to apply it. Any hints would be helpful.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2009 #2

lanedance

Homework Helper

consider the distance a point (x,y) is from the origin...

4. Nov 9, 2009 #3

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Look at the set of all (x,y) so that x2+y2=1. Is this an equivalence class? What else is it?

5. Nov 9, 2009 #4
    That makes sense conceptually, but I'm not quite sure how to apply it. If we're letting x2+y2 equal to diameter one, what happens to our (u, v)? I'm confused how to get this to work. What do we define the relation as?

6. Nov 9, 2009 #5

lanedance

Homework Helper

say you have any (x,y) with x^2 + y^2 = 1

and any (u,v) with u^2 + v^2 = 1

then based on your definition
    (x,y) ~ (u,v)

now on what geomertic object do they both lie?

7. Nov 9, 2009 #6
    They both lie on a circle. I can prove they're equal through distance formula at any given point of origin.

How do you geometrically interpret reflexivity, symmetry, and transitivity? I mean, it's obvious to me visually, but how do you prove it?

Story of my life: "It's obvious conceptually, but how do I prove it?"

8. Nov 9, 2009 #7
    Could you just draw a (x,y) and (u,v) circles and show their radii and origins are identical and say its obviously reflexive, symmetric, and transitive?

9. Nov 10, 2009 #8

lanedance

Homework Helper

sorry misread your question

it doesn't ask you to prove geometrically the equivalence realtion, just intepret what it is, which you have already done

each equivalence class, label it by r>0, corresponds to all points at a distance r form the origin, which as a set is the points contained in the circle of radius r, around the origin

10. Nov 10, 2009 #9

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

(x,y) and (u,v) are not circles- they are points on a circle. Geometrically, two points, (x,y) and (u,v) are equivalent if and only if they lie on the same circle about the origin.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook