Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Insights Interview with a Biophysicist: Andy Resnick - Comments

1. Feb 4, 2016 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2016 #2
    Die Antwoord! Didn't see that one coming! :)

4. Feb 5, 2016 #3
    @Andy Resnick btw, is the GoPro waterproof?

5. Feb 5, 2016 #4

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Not by itself. All those cameras come with a plastic enclosure, tho, and when used correctly the camera can be used underwater no problem. Not sure how deep it can go- I've only taken it down 4 feet at most. When I'm done I wash the (still enclosed) camera off with fresh water to get any sand/salt/crud off, then dry and open the enclosure. Sometimes there's a bit of sand in the gaskets, easily brushed off.

6. Feb 5, 2016 #5

atyy

Science Advisor

What happened with Michael Turner (who is he)?

7. Feb 5, 2016 #6

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Turner_(cosmologist)

Here's the whole humiliating story- for what it's worth, he probably has no recollection of this.

There was a series on public television titled (I think) "The Early Universe" that came out when I was 14 or 15, Michael was one of the talking heads on the show. Watching it, I immediately lost interest in everything non-physics: from that moment, I knew exactly what I wanted to do for a career.

Now fast-forward 20 years, I'm at a public lecture given by Steve Weinberg. After his talk, there was a wine-and-cheese social event that I wandered into (for the free wine), and I'm looking around the room and who do I see? Michael Turner. I start gushing to my friends about how I saw this show when I was a kid, he was on it, blah blah blah. So they convince to go and tell him how much the show meant to me. I should mention that none of us were inebriated at all- I went though this stone sober.

I take a deep breath, tell myself he may enjoy hearing how he made a difference in some kid's life, and start walking. I introduce myself, tell him how that PBS show made me interested in physics, and I just wanted to personally thank him for inspiring me.

He looks right at me, very serious. He says: "I'm sorry I got you interested in physics".

Then this giant hole in the earth opened up and I fell in.

True story. I've since convinced myself that his comment was meant to be a light-hearted joke.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
  8. Feb 5, 2016 #7
    Why would he say this other than a joke?

9. Feb 5, 2016 #8

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Well, yes. (Edit- now it's a funny story!) At the time though, it didn't seem like it. He wasn't laughing, for example. Not even smiling.

10. Feb 5, 2016 #9
    haha awkward :biggrin:

11. Feb 5, 2016 #10

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Exactly! Mr. Rogers would be nicer to me :)

12. Feb 6, 2016 #11
    Boring! Awkward always makes for a good story :biggrin:

13. Feb 6, 2016 #12

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Comedy: when something bad happens to someone else.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted