1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Intracellular Mechanism of IGF-1

1. Nov 21, 2004 #1
    IGF-1 has been shown to increase regeneration of nerve cells. I have seen the studies, but am unable to find the actual mechanisms. Does anybody have any information on this or know where I could find it.

I have look through my cell and molecular biology book, but can not seem to find it.

thanks
    nautica

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2004 #2

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I doubt you'll find anything in a textbook on it. I don't think the mechanism is fully understood yet. Most of what I find on the topic seems to still be on a pretty basic level: add IGF-1 and see an effect on neuroprotection. If you do a pubmed search on "IGF-1 and neurons" you'll get a long list of results. I only skimmed a few pages in and saw a few titles suggesting the PI3 kinase pathway may be involved, but nothing more than that.

4. Nov 21, 2004 #3
    Yup, thats what I was afraid of.

Thanks for your thoughts.
    Nautica

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?