Intrinsic Wave Impedance for Conductive Medium

In summary, the conversation discusses the intrinsic impedance for air and in a conductive medium, as well as the electric and magnetic waves in a conductive medium. The individual is seeking clarification on u_o, epsilon_o, and epsilon_r, which are all real constants. They are advised to look up mu_0 and epsilon_0 as permeability and permittivity of free space, and epsilon_r as the relative permittivity of the medium. The person expresses confusion and asks for clarification on these constants.
tquiva

Homework Statement

I know that for air, the intrinsic impedance η is 377 Ω, but it becomes complex in a conductive medium. This fact is sort of hindering me in being able to answer a few problems consisting of electric and magnetic waves in a conductive medium, but I just wanted to clarify one thing.
Say, I am given H(z,t)=0.5cos(ωt-βz)ay+0.7cos(ωt-βz)ax

Homework Equations

I know that the intrinsic impedance for a conductive medium is:
attachment.php?attachmentid=40735&stc=1&d=1320639186.png

The Attempt at a Solution

When σ=0 for one problem, I was left with:
attachment.php?attachmentid=40736&stc=1&d=1320639330.png

But I do know that
attachment.php?attachmentid=40738&stc=1&d=1320639449.png

My question is, what in the world is u_o, ε_o, and ε_r ?
Am I supposed to figure this out or is this already provided in a table somewhere?
I have been trying to look in my book and online, but am getting confused easily.
Will someone please clarify this for me?
Any help is greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2011-11-06 at 6.12.32 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2011-11-06 at 6.12.32 PM.png
    3.7 KB · Views: 1,557
  • Screen Shot 2011-11-06 at 6.15.09 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2011-11-06 at 6.15.09 PM.png
    1.2 KB · Views: 1,226
  • Screen Shot 2011-11-06 at 6.17.10 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2011-11-06 at 6.17.10 PM.png
    1 KB · Views: 1,200
Physics news on Phys.org
Those are all real constants. mu_0 and epsilon_0 are permeability and permittivity of free space, look them up anywhere, and epsilon_r is the relative permittivity of your medium (= epsilon/epsilon_0).

How you got as far as you did, which is pretty far, without knowing that is a bit of a mysrtery to me, and please believe that I'm nort trying to be condescending or insulting - just wondering!

What is intrinsic wave impedance for conductive medium?

Intrinsic wave impedance for conductive medium is a measure of the resistance to the propagation of electromagnetic waves through a conductive material. It is an important property that determines the behavior of electromagnetic waves in a medium.

How is intrinsic wave impedance related to conductivity?

Intrinsic wave impedance is directly proportional to the conductivity of a material. This means that as the conductivity of a medium increases, the intrinsic wave impedance also increases. Conductive materials have a higher intrinsic wave impedance compared to non-conductive materials.

Why is intrinsic wave impedance important in electromagnetics?

Intrinsic wave impedance is important in electromagnetics because it helps us understand how electromagnetic waves interact with different materials. It also allows us to calculate the reflection and transmission coefficients of electromagnetic waves at the interface between two materials with different intrinsic wave impedances.

How is intrinsic wave impedance calculated?

Intrinsic wave impedance is calculated by dividing the magnitude of the electric field by the magnitude of the magnetic field in a medium. It is a complex quantity and is typically denoted by the symbol Z. The formula for calculating intrinsic wave impedance is Z = E/H, where E is the electric field and H is the magnetic field.

What factors affect the intrinsic wave impedance of a material?

The intrinsic wave impedance of a material is affected by its conductivity, permittivity, and permeability. It is also influenced by the frequency of the electromagnetic wave, as well as the angle of incidence of the wave on the material. Additionally, the presence of any boundaries or interfaces between materials can also affect the intrinsic wave impedance.