1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Introductory quantum mechanics problem

1. Feb 2, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider A(x) is an arbitrary function of x, and px is the momentum operator. Show that they satisfy the following condition:
    [px,A(x)] = (-i/ħ)*d/dx(A(x))

where [px,A(x)] = pxA(x) - A(x)px

2. Relevant equations
    ħ = h/2π
    px = (-iħ)d/dx

3. The attempt at a solution
    Starting with the expression given at the bottom of the question and subbing in the expression for the momentum operator and factoring out -iħ, I get:

[px,A(x)] = -iħ*(d/dx(A(x)) - A(x)d/dx)

and I'm stuck there for the time being... I don't really understand how to get ħ into the denominator or what to do with the term in brackets. Any help would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 2, 2016 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

There must be a misprint in the problem as given to you. The ħ should be in the numerator. You can verify this by dimensional analysis.

When unraveling commutators like this, it is usually a good idea the think of the commutator as acting on some arbitrary function f(x).

Thus, try to simplify [px, A(x)]f(x).

4. Feb 2, 2016 #3
    h-bar should not be in the denominator. Do a simple unit analysis to see that's not the case.

As for evaluating the commutator, I think it might help if you put the commutator in front of function. Remember p and A are operators, they need to operate on something.

[tex] [p,A]\psi = (pA - Ap)\psi = pA\psi - Ap\psi [/tex]

Now A and psi are just functions of position. But p is a derivative operator acting on everything to its right. Recall the product rule.

[tex] pA\psi = p(A)\psi + Ap(\psi) [/tex]

I'll let you do the rest. Hopefully this makes sense.

5. Feb 2, 2016 #4
    Thanks to both of you for the help. I've done as you suggested and solved the commutator and found that it was equal to dA(x)/dx, now the answer I have is:

[px,A(x)] = -iħ*(dA(x)/dx)

Another source I've seen online seems to suggest that the first term should be ħ/i (which is equal to my answer -iħ) I will ask my professor whether there is a typo in the assignment tomorrow.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted