1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Invariance of the y coordinate for a boost along the x axis

1. Jan 26, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I've been reading through Spacetime Physics by Taylor & Wheeler, but this argument about the invariance of the [itex]y[/itex] coordinate for inertial frames, one moving relative to the other on the [itex]x[/itex] axis, is tripping me up. I'll just write the text word for word:

I'm just not understanding this argument at all. There is a way to distinguish between whether the lab clocks were painted by the rocket or not if the lines painted at [itex]y=1[/itex] (rocket frame) weren't at [itex]y=1[/itex] (lab frame)??? Is that the experiment to distinguish the two frames?

2. Relevant equations
    The laws of physics are the same in any two inertial frames

3. The attempt at a solution
    Just lost trying to understand how non-invariance of the [itex]y[/itex] coordinate makes the laws of physics different in between the inertial lab and rocket frames.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 27, 2013 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

welcome to pf!

hi homerT! welcome to pf! :smile:

it's a little confusing, but i think what they're saying is this …

all we've stipulated is that the y = 0 line (the x-axis) is the same in both systems

in other words, if one clock on y = 0 was using paint, then we've stipulated that the paint must fall on the clocks on y = 0 in the other frame

we haven't stipulated anything about clocks on y = 1

but if the paint from one clock on y = 1 fell inside the clocks on the other frame on y = 1, then that would be a way to distinguish between the frames, which can't happen, so the paint must fall exactly on the other frame's y = 1 clocks :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook