1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lorentz Transformation of y-velocity

1. Nov 7, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A Particle moves with uniform speed V'y = Δy'/Δt' along the y'-axis of the rocket frame. Transform Δy' and Δt' to laboratory displacements Δx, Δy, and Δt using the Lorentz transformation equations. Show that the x-component and the y-component of the velocity of this particle in the laboratory frame are given by the expressions ... (under relevant equations)

2. Relevant equations

Vx = V rel
    Vy = Vy'(1-Vrel^2)^.5

3. The attempt at a solution

Okay so the text book i got this problem from is lacking in both directions and example problems. This is what I have so far..

x = x' because the particle is moving along the y-axis
    z=z'

Δt = vγy' + γt
    Δx = x'
    Δy= γy' + Vγt'

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2012 #2
    or is it that
    t' = -Vrelγy+γt = γ(-Vrel(y)+t)
    y' = γy-Vrelγt = γ(y-Vrel(t))

how should i continue?

4. Nov 8, 2012 #3
    The relevant equations are not correct. If the particle is moving relative to the rocket, and the rocket is moving relative to the laboratory, then you have to use the relativistic Velocity Addition Theorem to get the velocity of the particle relative to the laboratory.

5. Feb 6, 2014 #4
    I was able to get the given expressions by assuming that the rocket moves only along the x axis in the laboratory frame with relative speed v_rel, as suggested by v_x = v_rel, though the fault is on the book for not mentioning that specifically, thus forcing you to assume that the relative velocity could be in any direction.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted