Invariant divergence and christoffel symbols

In summary: If you differentiate the determinant with respect to x you get ∂g/∂xl = ggim(∂gim/∂x∂g/∂xl)and so the derivative of the determinant of the metric tensor is∂g/∂xl = ggim/2(∂gim/∂x∂g/∂xl)which you can solve for ∂g/∂xl = gim/2(∂gim/∂x∂g/∂xl)
Felicity

Homework Statement

show that the definition of the invariant divergence

divA = 1/√g ∂i (√g Ai)

is equivalent to the other invariant definition

divA = Ai;i

Ai;k = ∂Ai/∂xk + ГiklAl

Гkij = gkl/2 (∂gil/∂xj+∂glj/∂xi-∂gij/∂xl)

Homework Equations

g is the metric tensor

hints from class:
you will have to check that Гlil = 1/√g ∂i√g

you will have to differentiate determinants

write the answer in terms of the derivative of the metric tensor and inverse metric tensor

The Attempt at a Solution

so far I have

divA = ∂Ai/∂xk + (∂gil/∂xj+∂glj/∂xi-∂gij/∂xl)Al

but i don't know if this is correct or where to go from here. Christoffel symbols are new to me, can anyone point me in the right direction?

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Felicity said:
so far I have

divA = ∂Ai/∂xk + (∂gil/∂xj+∂glj/∂xi-∂gij/∂xl)Al

but i don't know if this is correct or where to go from here. Christoffel symbols are new to me, can anyone point me in the right direction?

Hi Felicity! :smile:

You haven't got this index summation thing, have you? :redface:

Hint: divA is a scalar, so that line must have no uncancelled indices (every index up must be paired with itself down) …

divA = ∂Ai/∂xi + … ? :smile:

Thank you so much for the reply! I see my mistake now but I still have not solved the problem

I see now that

divA = 1/√g ∂i (√g Ai) = ∂Ai/∂xi + (1/√g ∂i √g )Al

which brings me to the hint

Гlil = 1/√g ∂i√g

which must be equal to

Гkij = gkl/2 (∂gil/∂xj+∂glj/∂xi-∂gij/∂xl)

when k is the same as j

So if I relabel my indices to be consistent I get the equation

Гlil = 1/√g ∂i√g = gim/2 (∂gim/∂xl+∂gml/∂xi-∂gil/∂xm)

I also learned that ∂gml/∂xi=∂gil/∂xm) so those terms cancle to give

1/√g ∂i√g = gim/2 (∂gim/∂xl)

since

∂g/∂xi = ggim(∂gim/∂x∂g/∂xl)

1/√g ∂i√g = 1/2g (∂g/∂xl)

which requires me to find the derivative of the determinant of the metric tensor, how do I do that?

Last edited:
Hi Felicity! :smile:

The question requires you to prove that

Гlil = 1/√g ∂i√g

Hint: g is just a number, gii,

so ∂i√g = … ? :smile:

1. What is the meaning of invariant divergence?

Invariant divergence is a concept in mathematics and physics that refers to the change of a vector field as it moves through space. It is a measure of how much the vector field is spreading or contracting at a particular point in space.

2. How is invariant divergence related to Christoffel symbols?

Christoffel symbols are mathematical objects that represent the connection between coordinate systems. Invariant divergence can be expressed in terms of Christoffel symbols, allowing for a more precise calculation of the change in a vector field.

3. What are some applications of invariant divergence and Christoffel symbols?

Invariant divergence and Christoffel symbols are commonly used in the study of general relativity, as they are important in the formulation of the Einstein field equations. They are also used in fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and other areas of physics and mathematics.

4. How do you calculate invariant divergence and Christoffel symbols?

Invariant divergence can be calculated using the divergence operator, while Christoffel symbols can be computed using the metric tensor and its derivatives. These calculations can be quite complex, and are often performed using computer software.

5. What is the significance of invariant divergence and Christoffel symbols in physics?

Invariant divergence and Christoffel symbols are important tools in the study of curved spaces and the dynamics of physical systems. They allow for a deeper understanding of how objects move and interact in space, and are essential in the development of theories such as general relativity.