Inverse Compton scattering in SR

In summary, the conversation discusses an inverse Compton scattering problem, where a photon scatters off a charged particle moving at a speed close to that of light. The first two parts of the problem are easily solved using 4-vector products, but the third part, which asks for the expression of the scattered photon's four-momentum in terms of U, V, and P, proves to be impossible without knowing additional information such as the exit angle of the scattered photon. The conversation also touches on the conservation of momentum during the scattering event.
diazona
Homework Helper
This is actually for a graduate course but it's a basic special relativity problem, i.e. undergraduate-level material, so I'm posting it here...

Homework Statement

Inverse Compton scattering describes the process whereby a photon scatters off a charged particle moving with a speed very nearly that of light. In this problem we analyze an inverse Compton scattering event "geometrically".
(a) An observer, moving with four-velocity U, observes a charged particle traveling with four-velocity V and rest mass m. Describe, in terms of U and V, the condition that the charged particle is moving with a speed very nearly that of light.
(b) The charged particle encounters a photon with four-momentum P. Express, in terms of the appropriate four-vectors, the energy of the photon incident on the charge particle as seen by the observer.
(c) Express, in terms of the appropriate four-vectors, the photon's four-momentum P' following the scattering event.

Homework Equations

[tex]U^{\mu} = (1, 0, 0, 0)[/tex] (in the observer's rest frame)
[tex]V^{\mu} = (\gamma, \gamma \vec{v})[/tex]
[tex]P^{\mu} = (E, \vec{p})[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I got parts (a) and (b) easily enough by evaluating 4-vector products in the observer's rest frame,
(a) [tex]\gamma = -U^{\mu} V_{\mu} \gg 1[/tex]
(b) [tex]E = U^{\mu}P_{\mu}[/tex]
The problem is with part (c). We're supposed to express P' in terms of U, V, and P, but it doesn't seem to be possible without knowing the angle at which the scattered photon exits (or the angle at which the charged particle exits). Am I missing something, or is this actually impossible?

Physics news on Phys.org
diazona said:
The problem is with part (c). We're supposed to express P' in terms of U, V, and P, but it doesn't seem to be possible without knowing the angle at which the scattered photon exits (or the angle at which the charged particle exits). Am I missing something, or is this actually impossible?

What quantity is conserved during the scattering event?:wink:

Momentum, I know... P + mV = P' + mV', where V' is the final four-velocity of the charged particle. But I still don't see how that helps... I don't know V'.

Why not just express your answer in terms of V'?

I thought about that, but it'd be just expressing one unknown in terms of another :/ Anyway, it doesn't matter now, the assignment was due earlier today. In the end even our professor did admit that it was impossible.

What is inverse Compton scattering in special relativity (SR)?

Inverse Compton scattering in SR is a physical phenomenon in which a high-energy photon interacts with a high-speed electron, resulting in the transfer of energy from the electron to the photon. This process is described by Einstein's special theory of relativity, which explains how the energy and momentum of particles change in different reference frames.

How is inverse Compton scattering different from regular Compton scattering?

In regular Compton scattering, a low-energy photon interacts with a high-speed electron, resulting in the transfer of energy from the photon to the electron. In inverse Compton scattering, the opposite occurs, with a high-energy photon transferring energy to a high-speed electron. This is due to the different reference frames of the particles involved.

What is the significance of inverse Compton scattering in astrophysics?

Inverse Compton scattering plays a crucial role in astrophysics, as it is responsible for producing high-energy photons in various astrophysical environments. This process is observed in a variety of astronomical objects, such as active galactic nuclei, pulsars, and gamma-ray bursts. Studying the properties of the high-energy photons produced through inverse Compton scattering can provide valuable insights into the physical processes occurring in these objects.

How is inverse Compton scattering related to the cosmic microwave background (CMB)?

The cosmic microwave background (CMB) is the remnant radiation from the Big Bang, which is observed as a uniform background of microwave radiation. Inverse Compton scattering can occur between the high-energy electrons in the CMB and low-energy photons, resulting in a distortion of the CMB spectrum. This process is known as the Sunyaev-Zel'dovich effect and is used by astronomers to study the properties of galaxy clusters.

What are some applications of inverse Compton scattering in experimental physics?

Inverse Compton scattering is used in several experimental techniques, such as Compton backscattering and Thomson scattering, to produce high-energy photons for research purposes. These techniques are used in areas such as nuclear physics, material science, and medical imaging. Additionally, inverse Compton scattering is also used in particle accelerators to produce high-energy electron beams for collision experiments.