1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inverse fourier troubles: e^(-j*infty)

1. Dec 1, 2008 #1
    Hello,

I am working through Signals and Systems Demystified, but I am at an impasse.

I would like to take the inverse Fourier transform of

[tex]
    H(f)=\begin{cases}
    -j&\text{if } f > 0\\
    j&\text{if } f<0\end{cases}
    [/tex]

So

[tex]
    h(t) = \int_{-\infty}^{0} je^{j2\pi f t}df + \int_{0}^{\infty} -je^{j2\pi ft}df
    = \int_{-\infty}^{0} je^{j2\pi f t}df + \int_{-\infty}^{0} je^{j2\pi f t}df
    = 2\int_{-\infty}^{0} je^{j2\pi f t}df
    = \frac{j2e^{j2\pi ft}}{j2\pi t}|_{-\infty}^{0}
    [/tex]

So

[tex]
    h(t) = \frac{1}{\pi t} - \lim_{f \rightarrow -\infty} \frac{e^{j2\pi ft}}{\pi t}
    [/tex]

The book says that [tex]h(t) = \frac{1}{\pi t}[/tex] is the answer, but I don't understand how. Isn't [tex]\lim_{f \rightarrow -\infty} \frac{e^{j2\pi ft}}{\pi t}[/tex] periodic and nonconverging?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 2, 2008 #2
    You have a constant times the sign (not sine) function: sgn(f) = 1 for f >0, and -1 for f<0.

Your problem, as you point out is convergence. Why not try multiplying your function by decaying exponentials, say exp(af) or exp(-af)?

4. Dec 8, 2008 #3
    Hi Dyad,

Thanks for your response. Could you please give me more details? Even Mathematica hates the integral.

By the way, I am only confident that the first part is correct.

[tex]
    h(t) = \int_{-\infty}^{0} je^{j2\pi f t}df + \int_{0}^{\infty} -je^{j2\pi ft}df
    = j(\int_{-\infty}^{0} e^{j2\pi f t}df - \int_{0}^{\infty} e^{j2\pi ft}df)
    [/tex]

-Sam

5. Dec 8, 2008 #4
    What if you had

[tex]

x(t) = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} je^{j2\pi f t}e^{-b|f|}df
    [/tex]

with b real and greater than zero? This is a doable calculation.

Then, after you're done, what happens when you take a certain limit involving a?

6. Dec 9, 2008 #5
    Thanks for the help, Dyad!

[tex]
    \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}-j Sgn(f)e^{j2\pi ft}e^{-b|f|}df = \\
    \int_{-\infty}^{0}je^{j2\pi ft}e^{bf}df - \int_{0}^{\infty}je^{j2\pi ft}e^{bf}df
    [/tex]

The [tex]e^{-b|f|}[/tex] added convergence.

I ended up with

[tex]
    j[\frac{1}{j2\pi t+b}+\frac{1}{j2\pi t-b}]
    [/tex]

But as b approaches 0, we get

[tex]
    j\lim_{b \rightarrow 0}[\frac{1}{j2\pi t+b}+\frac{1}{j2\pi t-b}]=\frac{1}{\pi t}
    [/tex]

7. Dec 9, 2008 #6
    Ok, but just be careful; this doesn't always work.

Check the Fourier transform of the unit step function; this method doesn't give you the total answer. Problems arise at f = 0.

(To do this problem, might try writing the step function in terms of the sgn function.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?