Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Inverse functions, and limits help!

1. Feb 10, 2009 #1
    Please help me with these following problems:

1.)Indicate whether each of the following functions is invertible in the given interval. Explain
    a.) sech x on [0,infinity)

b.) cos (ln x) on (O, e^pie]

c.) e^(x^2) on (-1,2]

2.) Evaluate the following limits, justifying your answers. If a limit does not exist explain why.

a.) lim (x--> inf.) (3x^3 +cos x)/(sin x- x^3)
    b.) lim (x-->Pie(+)) (tan^-1 (1/(x-Pie)))/(Pie-x)
    c.) lim (x--> 0(+)) (sqrt(x+sin x))(ln x)
    d.) lim (x--> 1(-)) (cos^-1(x))/(1-x)

3.) give the equation of the line tangent to the curve at the given point.
    a.) (y)(tan^-1 x)= x*y at (sqrt(3),0)
    b.) ln y= x^2 +(2)*e^x at (0, e^2)

My attempt at a solution for a.)

1.) sech x on [0,infinity)

let y= sech x
    therefore, y*sech^-1 x= sech^-1 x* sech x

therefore x= y*sech^-1 x

since it is an inverse function switch x and y variables

therefore f^-1(x)= x*sech^-1 (y)

how do i determine, it's intervible in [0, infinity)... i'm not sure if this prior work is correct
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 10, 2009 #2

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That won't do. You've simply assumed the existence of sech^-1(x). You need to show that the function is 1-1 on [itex][0,\infty)[/itex] (that is, you need to show that it passes the so-called horizontal line test on that interval). One way to do that is to show that the function is monotonic on that interval. Have you been taught a theorem that shows you how to determine the monotonicity of a function?

4. Feb 10, 2009 #3
    yes, basically for the horizontal line test, each x values only one unique f(x) value if it is to be one-to-one...

since, sech(x) = 1 / cosh(x) = 2 / (e^x + e^-x)

can i compute y= 2/(e^x +e^-x)

and solve for x:

than switch the variables for y and x to find the inverse function?

and then plug in the values of [0,infinity) into x

and determine if a f(x) value exists?

is this a proper method

5. Feb 10, 2009 #4

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In principle that's fine, but in practice it's a pain. It would be easier to show that y=sech(x) is monotonic (that is, either always increasing or always decreasing). Now the question for you is, how do you tell whether a function is increasing or decreasing on an interval?

6. Feb 10, 2009 #5
    but wouldn't I have to determine the graph of the inverse of the sech (x) equation in order to determine if a value exists for [0, infinity)

7. Feb 11, 2009 #6

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You don't have to find the inverse, you just have to determine whether or not an inverse exists. There's a big difference. You need to use the following facts.

1.) A function [itex]f:D\longrightarrow R[/itex] has an inverse [itex]f^{-1}:R\longrightarrow D[/itex] if and only if [itex]f[/itex] is 1-1 and onto. The onto part is easy: just assume that the output values of the function are the range of the function. It's the 1-1 part that you need to worry about. This brings is to...

2.) A function is 1-1 on its domain if and only if it is monotonic on its domain.

So how do you show that [itex]f[/itex] is monotonic?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook