1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inverse functions, and limits help!

1. Feb 10, 2009 #1
    Please help me with these following problems:

1.)Indicate whether each of the following functions is invertible in the given interval. Explain
    a.) sech x on [0,infinity)

b.) cos (ln x) on (O, e^pie]

c.) e^(x^2) on (-1,2]

2.) Evaluate the following limits, justifying your answers. If a limit does not exist explain why.

a.) lim (x--> inf.) (3x^3 +cos x)/(sin x- x^3)
    b.) lim (x-->Pie(+)) (tan^-1 (1/(x-Pie)))/(Pie-x)
    c.) lim (x--> 0(+)) (sqrt(x+sin x))(ln x)
    d.) lim (x--> 1(-)) (cos^-1(x))/(1-x)

3.) give the equation of the line tangent to the curve at the given point.
    a.) (y)(tan^-1 x)= x*y at (sqrt(3),0)
    b.) ln y= x^2 +(2)*e^x at (0, e^2)

My attempt at a solution for a.)

1.) sech x on [0,infinity)

let y= sech x
    therefore, y*sech^-1 x= sech^-1 x* sech x

therefore x= y*sech^-1 x

since it is an inverse function switch x and y variables

therefore f^-1(x)= x*sech^-1 (y)

how do i determine, it's intervible in [0, infinity)... i'm not sure if this prior work is correct
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 10, 2009 #2

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That won't do. You've simply assumed the existence of sech^-1(x). You need to show that the function is 1-1 on [itex][0,\infty)[/itex] (that is, you need to show that it passes the so-called horizontal line test on that interval). One way to do that is to show that the function is monotonic on that interval. Have you been taught a theorem that shows you how to determine the monotonicity of a function?

4. Feb 10, 2009 #3
    yes, basically for the horizontal line test, each x values only one unique f(x) value if it is to be one-to-one...

since, sech(x) = 1 / cosh(x) = 2 / (e^x + e^-x)

can i compute y= 2/(e^x +e^-x)

and solve for x:

than switch the variables for y and x to find the inverse function?

and then plug in the values of [0,infinity) into x

and determine if a f(x) value exists?

is this a proper method

5. Feb 10, 2009 #4

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In principle that's fine, but in practice it's a pain. It would be easier to show that y=sech(x) is monotonic (that is, either always increasing or always decreasing). Now the question for you is, how do you tell whether a function is increasing or decreasing on an interval?

6. Feb 10, 2009 #5
    but wouldn't I have to determine the graph of the inverse of the sech (x) equation in order to determine if a value exists for [0, infinity)

7. Feb 11, 2009 #6

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You don't have to find the inverse, you just have to determine whether or not an inverse exists. There's a big difference. You need to use the following facts.

1.) A function [itex]f:D\longrightarrow R[/itex] has an inverse [itex]f^{-1}:R\longrightarrow D[/itex] if and only if [itex]f[/itex] is 1-1 and onto. The onto part is easy: just assume that the output values of the function are the range of the function. It's the 1-1 part that you need to worry about. This brings is to...

2.) A function is 1-1 on its domain if and only if it is monotonic on its domain.

So how do you show that [itex]f[/itex] is monotonic?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook