1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Inverse hyperbolic function expressed as inverse trigonometry function

1. Jun 7, 2016 #1
    Consider ##y=\cos{-x}=\cos x=\cosh ix##.

Thus, ##\pm x=\cos^{-1}y## and ##ix=\cosh^{-1}y##.

So ##\cosh^{-1}y=\pm i\cos^{-1}y##.

Renaming the variable ##y##, we have ##\cosh^{-1}x=\pm i\cos^{-1}x##.

Next, we evaluate the derivative of ##\cosh^{-1}x## by converting it to ##\cos^{-1}x## using ##\cosh^{-1}x=i\cos^{-1}x##.

##\frac{d}{dx}\cosh^{-1}x=\frac{d}{dx}i\cos^{-1}x##
    ##=i\frac{-1}{\sqrt{1-x^2}}## --- (*)
    ##=\frac{-i}{i\sqrt{x^2-1}}## where I've used the rule ##\sqrt{-c}=i\sqrt{c}## for ##c>0##, since ##x>1##.
    ##=\frac{-1}{\sqrt{x^2-1}}##, which differs from the correct answer by a negative sign.

This means we would get the correct answer had we used ##\cosh^{-1}x=-i\cos^{-1}x##.

My question is how do we know when to add the negative sign.

I realized that step (*) is wrong because the formula for the derivative of ##\cos^{-1}## is true only for ##-1<x<1##. However, since we get the right answer in the end, it seems like there is a reason why we could still use the formula for values of ##x## outside ##-1<x<1##, and an explanation when we should use ##\cosh^{-1}x=-i\cos^{-1}x## instead of ##\cosh^{-1}x=i\cos^{-1}x##.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 8, 2016 #2
    Hi Happiness:

I am not sure I understand what you are asking, but it seems to me that the first equation omitted
    cosh ix = cosh -ix.​
    That is, both cos and cosh are symmetrical functions. Therefore when you take the inverse, you get two possible correct answers:
    + and -. This the same as taking the square root of a positive value and getting both a positive and negative result.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
    Buzz

4. Jun 8, 2016 #3
    Hi Buzz

Thanks for replying.

I am asking why is ##\cosh^{-1}x=-i\cos^{-1}x##? And why isn't ##\cosh^{-1}x=+i\cos^{-1}x##? Why is the positive result rejected?

5. Jun 8, 2016 #4
    Hi Happiness:

Can you post a link to where you found that the positive result is rejected?

Regards,
    Buzz

6. Jun 9, 2016 #5
  7. Jun 9, 2016 #6
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted