Inverse hyperbolic function expressed as inverse trigonometry function

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between the inverse hyperbolic cosine function and the inverse cosine function. It is stated that both functions have two possible correct answers, + and -, due to the symmetrical nature of cos and cosh. However, the positive result is rejected in the context of evaluating the derivative of cosh^-1x, as it leads to an incorrect result. The conversation also highlights the importance of considering the appropriate domain for the inverse cosine function when evaluating derivatives.
Happiness
Consider ##y=\cos{-x}=\cos x=\cosh ix##.

Thus, ##\pm x=\cos^{-1}y## and ##ix=\cosh^{-1}y##.

So ##\cosh^{-1}y=\pm i\cos^{-1}y##.

Renaming the variable ##y##, we have ##\cosh^{-1}x=\pm i\cos^{-1}x##.

Next, we evaluate the derivative of ##\cosh^{-1}x## by converting it to ##\cos^{-1}x## using ##\cosh^{-1}x=i\cos^{-1}x##.

##\frac{d}{dx}\cosh^{-1}x=\frac{d}{dx}i\cos^{-1}x##
##=i\frac{-1}{\sqrt{1-x^2}}## --- (*)
##=\frac{-i}{i\sqrt{x^2-1}}## where I've used the rule ##\sqrt{-c}=i\sqrt{c}## for ##c>0##, since ##x>1##.
##=\frac{-1}{\sqrt{x^2-1}}##, which differs from the correct answer by a negative sign.

This means we would get the correct answer had we used ##\cosh^{-1}x=-i\cos^{-1}x##.

My question is how do we know when to add the negative sign.

I realized that step (*) is wrong because the formula for the derivative of ##\cos^{-1}## is true only for ##-1<x<1##. However, since we get the right answer in the end, it seems like there is a reason why we could still use the formula for values of ##x## outside ##-1<x<1##, and an explanation when we should use ##\cosh^{-1}x=-i\cos^{-1}x## instead of ##\cosh^{-1}x=i\cos^{-1}x##.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hi Happiness:

I am not sure I understand what you are asking, but it seems to me that the first equation omitted
cosh ix = cosh -ix.​
That is, both cos and cosh are symmetrical functions. Therefore when you take the inverse, you get two possible correct answers:
+ and -. This the same as taking the square root of a positive value and getting both a positive and negative result.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Buzz

Hi Buzz

Thanks for replying.

I am asking why is ##\cosh^{-1}x=-i\cos^{-1}x##? And why isn't ##\cosh^{-1}x=+i\cos^{-1}x##? Why is the positive result rejected?

Happiness said:
Why is the positive result rejected?
Hi Happiness:

Can you post a link to where you found that the positive result is rejected?

Regards,
Buzz

1. What is an inverse hyperbolic function?

An inverse hyperbolic function is a mathematical function that calculates the inverse of a hyperbolic function. It is used to solve equations involving hyperbolic functions.

2. How is an inverse hyperbolic function expressed as an inverse trigonometry function?

An inverse hyperbolic function can be expressed as an inverse trigonometry function by substituting the hyperbolic functions with their corresponding trigonometry functions and using the identity i = isinh(x) = sinh(ix).

3. What are some examples of inverse hyperbolic functions expressed as inverse trigonometry functions?

Some examples include arcsinh(x) = ln(x + (x2 + 1)1/2), arccosh(x) = ln(x + (x2 - 1)1/2), and arctanh(x) = 1/2ln((1 + x)/(1 - x)).

4. What is the domain and range of an inverse hyperbolic function expressed as an inverse trigonometry function?

The domain of an inverse hyperbolic function expressed as an inverse trigonometry function is x ≥ 1 for arccosh(x) and |x| ≤ 1 for arctanh(x). The range is y ≥ 0 for arcsinh(x), y ≥ 1 for arccosh(x), and -1 ≤ y ≤ 1 for arctanh(x).

5. What are some real-world applications of inverse hyperbolic functions expressed as inverse trigonometry functions?

Inverse hyperbolic functions expressed as inverse trigonometry functions are used in physics, engineering, and other fields to solve problems involving hyperbolic functions. They are also used in the construction of mathematical models, such as in the study of diffusion and heat transfer.