1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inverse mapping of a singleton set

1. Sep 13, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    For X= NxN, Y=N, define the mapping phi: X-->Y as phi(x,y)=x+y. Find the inverse image of phi-inverse (5) of the singleton set {5}. If n: X-->Y is the product operation n(x,y)=xy, find n-inverse (4).

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm not even really sure what the question is asking. If the set is a singleton set, does that mean it sets 5 to itself? So the inverse image would be 5...?

As for the product operation, I don't know how to approach it.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The inverse image of {5} is the set of all things that map to 5 under phi. In the first case all (x,y) in NxN such that x+y=5 and in the second case x*y=4. N is the natural numbers, right?

4. Sep 13, 2008 #3
    N is the natural numbers.

So for x+y=5, the inverse image is either x=0,y=5, or x=5,y=0?

And the inverse image for xy=4 is either x=1,y=4, or x=4,y=1?

Do I have to show a proof for it though?

5. Sep 13, 2008 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

How about x=1,y=4. Doesn't that work in the first case? And is 0 a natural number? I don't think you have all the solutions for the second case either. I'd just start by listing the possibilities. It doesn't seem to me like it's necessary to 'prove' it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?