Inverse of the matrix of a linear transformation

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
alias
Messages
40
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Let T: M22→M22 be a LT defined by T(A)=AB where
B=[3,2
2,1]
Determine if T is invertible with respect to standard bases B=C={e11,e12,e21,e22}. If so, use (equation below) to find T^-1.

Homework Equations



[[T^-1 [AB]]C = [T^-1]B to C matrix [AB]B (at least I think this is the right one)

The Attempt at a Solution



I found:
T= [ [3,2,0,0]’,[2,1,0,0]’,[0,0,3,2]’,[0,0,2,1]’ ]
T^-1 = [ [-1,2,0,0]’,[2,-3,0,0]’,[0,0,-1,2]’,[0,0,2,-3]’ ]
My TA told me I was doing this wrong and I can't figure out what to do. Can anyone help?
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
so if get it right, if T is invertible then
[tex]T^{-1}(AB) = (AB)B^{-1} = A[/tex]

so isn't it sufficent to find whether B has an inverse