Inverse rotatory water sprinkler

In summary: I don't need the equations, just a summary of the conclusions.In summary, a water sprinkler with an S-shaped pipe on a pivot that squirts water out at right angles to the axis spins in a certain direction if it's under water, but if you suck the water in instead of squirting it out, it turns the other way.
basheer uddin
an S-shaped lawn sprinkler (an S-shaped pipe on a pivot) in which water squirts out at right angles to the axis and makes it spin in a certain direction is taken and if you had a lake, or swimming pool (a big supply of water) and you put the sprinkler completely under water, and sucked the water in, instead of squirting it out, which way would it turn? Would it turn the same way as it does when you squirt water out into the air, or would it turn the other way?

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you think?
I don't want to influence others with my thoughts, just to fix it: 29d64d3f6b992f1ce286086f3855ae8d71956b75 generated from [noparse]http://www.hashgenerator.de/[/noparse] with my reply

Last edited by a moderator:
clockwise in the s shape looking from above?
because conserving angular momentum, water flows in an anti-clockwise direction the nozzle
(on the whole it moves in an anti-clock wise direction,replacing upper half of s by an upside down L)
so tube must move clockwise.
but looking at it from the point of view of basic forces, force due to change in direction of water on the tube is same in both the cases(water squirting out and flowing into the tube),
so direction of torque must be same?

The water leaves with zero angular momentum, and I would not expect water in the lake to rotate opposite to the sprinkler, so based on angular momentum conservation, I expect no rotation.

so tube must move clockwise.
Why?

To extend my first statement: You can generate a force like a rocket, but you cannot generate a (significant) net force by sucking in any medium.

Thanks, that confirms my expectation. I did not consider the short period where it gets switched on, as this is negligible for realistic setups - and afterwards, there is no torque.

can we obtain the equations in the ideal case?
using bernouilli's principle?

It is always possible to obtain equations, but it can be complicated sometimes.

i am unable to derive it myself
can you?
i don't care it is complicated.
if the solution is long send a link in pdf please.
in your leisure;-)

I have no interest in making this.
See the existing literature if you want analytic approaches.

Try a Google search on "Feynman water sprinkler". There's even a Wikipedia page about it.

Thanks.

yes,but it is evaluated in steady state condition in which the external torque is zero.
but it is good enough for me.
thanks

1. What is an inverse rotatory water sprinkler?

An inverse rotatory water sprinkler is a type of sprinkler system that rotates in the opposite direction of a conventional sprinkler. This allows for more precise water distribution and can be beneficial for certain types of crops or plants.

2. How does an inverse rotatory water sprinkler work?

An inverse rotatory water sprinkler works by using a series of gears and bearings to rotate the sprinkler head in the opposite direction of a traditional sprinkler. This allows for a more controlled and targeted water distribution, as the sprinkler can be adjusted to cover specific areas.

3. What are the benefits of using an inverse rotatory water sprinkler?

One of the main benefits of using an inverse rotatory water sprinkler is its ability to provide more precise water distribution. This can be beneficial for crops or plants that require a specific amount of water, as well as for conserving water by avoiding overspray. Additionally, because the sprinkler head rotates in the opposite direction, it can help prevent soil compaction in fields.

4. Can an inverse rotatory water sprinkler be used in all types of soil?

Yes, an inverse rotatory water sprinkler can be used in a variety of soil types. However, it is important to consider the soil's texture and composition when determining the appropriate water distribution and rotation speed for the sprinkler.

5. Are there any maintenance requirements for an inverse rotatory water sprinkler?

Like any other sprinkler system, an inverse rotatory water sprinkler may require regular maintenance to ensure proper functioning. This may include cleaning or replacing clogged nozzles, checking for leaks or damage, and adjusting the sprinkler for optimal water distribution. It is also important to regularly inspect and maintain the gears and bearings to ensure smooth rotation.