What is the y-limit of the inverse tangent function?

In summary, the conversation discusses the inverse tangent function and its behavior as it approaches the y=2 line. The question of its y limit and whether it increases forever or terminates at a coordinate is posed. The conversation also touches on the definition of inverse tangent and its relationship with tangent. The use of calculators and the importance of using the correct mode is mentioned. The concept of infinitesimals is briefly mentioned but not preferred, and the limit of arctan(x) as x approaches infinity is given as pi/2. The importance of defining and evaluating functions correctly is emphasized.
LtIvan
Allo,
When I was experimenting with graphing functions, I noticed the inverse tangent, or arctanget, curves away from y=2, or may be less. What is the y limit for the inverse tangent function? Does it for ever increase, or terminate at a co-ordinate?

Physics news on Phys.org
LtIvan said:
What is the y limit for the inverse tangent function? Does it for ever increase, or terminate at a co-ordinate?
First graph the function ##\tan## on the real line. Is it defined everywhere? Then recall that ##\arctan## is defined as the inverse of the restriction of ##\tan## to the interval ##(-\tfrac{\pi}{2},\tfrac{\pi}{2})##. (Why is it necessary to first restrict ##\tan##?) Finally try to answer your own question.

Last edited:
Krylov said:
First graph the function ##\tan## on the real line. Is it defined everywhere? Then recall that ##\arctan## is defined as the inverse of the restriction of ##\tan## to the interval ##[-\tfrac{\pi}{2},\tfrac{\pi}{2}]##. (Why is it necessary to first restrict ##\tan##?) Finally try to answer your own question.

Little correction: you should exclude pi/2 and -pi/2 from the interval as tan is not defined for those values.

Likes S.G. Janssens
I approximately understand. So by your logic, when you graph y=tan(x), when it goes up and approaches endlessly, it stops round about π/2 and goes back down to increase and repeat this process? My original question was when does it stop on the y axis? It is infinity? However, when I apply this in my calculator.
tan(π/2)≈0.027 (2sf)
This does not make sense; when I graph this using a software. The line does not define this? when I observe the x=π/2 is does not intersect tan at 0.027? I am missing something?

Thanks in advance,

LtIvan said:
I approximately understand. So by your logic, when you graph y=tan(x), when it goes up and approaches endlessly, it stops round about π/2 and goes back down to increase and repeat this process? My original question was when does it stop on the y axis? It is infinity? However, when I apply this in my calculator.
tan(π/2)≈0.027 (2sf)
This does not make sense; when I graph this using a software. The line does not define this? when I observe the x=π/2 is does not intersect tan at 0.027? I am missing something?

Thanks in advance,

You should put your calculator ib radian mode, not degree mode, if you do not have done this yet. tan(pi/2) must give an error, otherwise you or your calculator are doing something wrong.

Likes S.G. Janssens
Okay thanks, that worked. Thinking immaterially, correct me if I am invalid, when π/2 subtract an infinitesimal, tan function would equal what one would interpret as infinity?
Let i="infinitesimal"
tan(π/2-i)=∞
?

However, thanks for your help, I now understand things better.

LtIvan said:
Okay thanks, that worked. Thinking immaterially, correct me if I am invalid, when π/2 subtract an infinitesimal, tan function would equal what one would interpret as infinity?
Let i="infinitesimal"
tan(π/2-i)=∞
?

However, thanks for your help, I now understand things better.

I don't like to talk about infinitesimals, however:

lim x-> + infinity arctan(x) = pi/2

Hey LtIvan,

You should define the y-limit mathematically and evaluate it using limit laws.

If something increases forever then the derivative is greater than zero.

Evaluating functions are easy if you define them consistently, correctly, and concisely.

1. What is the limit of the inverse tangent function as x approaches infinity?

The limit of the inverse tangent function as x approaches infinity is equal to π/2 or 90 degrees. This means that as x increases without bound, the output of the inverse tangent function approaches π/2 or 90 degrees.

2. How do you calculate the limit of the inverse tangent function?

The limit of the inverse tangent function can be calculated by taking the inverse tangent of the limit of the original function. For example, if the original function is tan(x), the limit of the inverse tangent function would be arctan(x).

3. Does the inverse tangent function have any discontinuities?

Yes, the inverse tangent function has a discontinuity at x = π/2 or 90 degrees. This is because the tangent function is undefined at this point, and therefore the inverse tangent function is discontinuous there.

4. What is the range of the inverse tangent function?

The range of the inverse tangent function is (-π/2, π/2) or (-90 degrees, 90 degrees). This means that the output of the inverse tangent function can never be greater than π/2 or less than -π/2.

5. Can the inverse tangent function be used to solve for angles in a triangle?

Yes, the inverse tangent function can be used to find the measure of an angle in a right triangle. This is because the inverse tangent function represents the ratio of the opposite side to the adjacent side, which is one of the trigonometric ratios used to solve for angles in a triangle.