Inversion Curve for a gas obeying Dieterici's equation of state

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 11K views
ncholland
Messages
4
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



For a gas obeying Dieterici's equation of state:

P(V-b) = RTexp(-a/RTV)

for one mole, prove that the equation of the inversion curve is

P = ((2a/b^2) - (RT/b)) * exp((1/2) - (a/(RTb)))

and hence find the maximum inversion temperature.

Homework Equations



N/A

The Attempt at a Solution



So, I know that for the inversion curve, the condition is (dV/dT) = V/T (where the derivative is evaluated at constant pressure). But this would need implicit differentiation to find dV/dt ... and it seems completely intractable - is there something I'm missing?
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Do the partial differentiation.
To arrive at the target equation, you need to eliminate ∂V/∂T (for which you have an equation) and V (for which you have the original equation).
If you're still stuck, please post your working.
 
Hi, thanks for the help!

I've tried the partial differentiation, but when I try and eliminate V and ∂V/∂T between the equation I obtain and the equation of state I just get a horrible mess - I'm not sure if I'm doing the differentiation right...

I rearranged the equation to get:

[itex]\frac{-a}{RTV}[/itex] = ln(p(V-b)) - ln(RT)

So, differentiating wrt T:

[itex]\frac{a}{RT^{2}V}[/itex] + [itex]\frac{a}{RTV^{2}}[/itex]*[itex]\frac{∂V}{∂T}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{1}{V-b}[/itex]*[itex]\frac{∂V}{∂T}[/itex] - [itex]\frac{1}{T}[/itex]

There's not really any point me posting any of the further work / manipulation I've done - I've tried a load of different things and nothing gets anywhere...

Is the initial differentiation correct?

Cheers!
 
ncholland said:
[itex]\frac{a}{RT^{2}V}[/itex] + [itex]\frac{a}{RTV^{2}}[/itex]*[itex]\frac{∂V}{∂T}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{1}{V-b}[/itex]*[itex]\frac{∂V}{∂T}[/itex] - [itex]\frac{1}{T}[/itex]
Yes, that looks good. Substitute for ∂V/∂T and get it into the form V = ...
 
Awesome, thanks! Got it now, much less nasty than I'd thought :-) (I was just messing up the cancellation of terms - which made me doubt I'd got the differentiation right in the first place because the whole thing looked such a mess!)
 
And the maximum inversion temperature is just found by setting P = 0, right? So that gives T = 2a/bR ?
 
ncholland said:
And the maximum inversion temperature is just found by setting P = 0, right?
If you say so. I know nothing about this subject matter.