Ratio PV/RT dieterici's equation

• Thread starter Dassinia
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ratio
In summary, Dieterici's equation is a tool that is used to study the behavior of non-ideal gases under high pressures and low temperatures. Unlike the ideal gas law, it takes into account the volume of gas particles and the attractive forces between them. The ratio PV/RT is important in this equation as it measures the compressibility of a gas and helps correct for intermolecular interactions. The Dieterici parameter is also included in the equation to account for deviations from ideal gas behavior. However, this equation is not applicable to all gases and is not suitable for predicting the behavior of noble gases with negligible intermolecular forces.
Dassinia
Hello

Homework Statement

Determine the ratio PV/RT at the critical point for a fluid which obeys Dieterici’s equation
p(v-b)=RT exp(-a/RTv)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

First ofall i don't really understand this notion of critical point.
I found an equation to find it that is
(dp/dv)=(d²p/dv²)=0 at constant temperature T
I don't have any equation in my book so where did this get from ?
Using it I found that
V=2nb
P=a/(4b²e²)
T=a/4Rb
And then I don't know what to do

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The critical point is the minimum or maximum value of a function. At this point the gradient (derivative) of the function is 0.

You are asked to work out the ratio PV / RT .

The result is supposed to be 2/e² but I get 2n/e² what am i supposed to do with the n ?

Sometimes the question may ask "per mole".

Boylanator is correct. The problem statement clearly implies molar V. When did the n come from anyway? It wasn't in the problem formulation.

Chet

1. What is the purpose of Dieterici's equation?

Dieterici's equation is used to predict the behavior of gases under high pressures and low temperatures. It is particularly useful for studying the behavior of non-ideal gases.

2. How is Dieterici's equation different from the ideal gas law?

Unlike the ideal gas law, which assumes that gas particles have no volume and do not interact with each other, Dieterici's equation takes into account the volume of gas particles and the attractive forces between them.

3. What is the importance of the ratio PV/RT in Dieterici's equation?

The ratio PV/RT is a measure of the compressibility of a gas. In Dieterici's equation, this ratio is used to correct for the effects of intermolecular interactions on the behavior of non-ideal gases.

4. How does Dieterici's equation account for deviations from ideal gas behavior?

Dieterici's equation includes a parameter, called the Dieterici parameter, which takes into account the attractive forces between gas particles. This parameter allows the equation to better predict the behavior of gases that deviate from ideal gas behavior.

5. Can Dieterici's equation be used to predict the behavior of all gases?

No, Dieterici's equation is only applicable to gases that have significant intermolecular interactions. It is not suitable for predicting the behavior of gases that have negligible intermolecular forces, such as noble gases.