Ion Proton 1: A Chemical Engineer's Dream

In summary, the Ion Proton 1 developed by Jonathan Rothberg is a cost-effective sequencer that can sequence most of a human genome for around $1000, compared to past methods that costed millions. Additionally, researchers at IBM are developing a sequencer that costs around $100 and can read DNA fragments through holes on its surface. The MinION, a nanopore sequencer, is also available for $900 and can read 150 million base pairs in just six hours. It has the potential to be stackable and reusable, making it a convenient tool for ecologists in the field.
Biosyn
What do you guys think of the Ion Proton 1 developed by a chemical engineer named Jonathan Rothberg? It can supposedly sequence most of a human genome for around $1000 compared to the past where had it costed millions.

I don't recall quite clearly, but I think researchers at IBM are developing a sequencer that costs around $100 that can read the bases of DNA fragments that flow through holes on its surface.

P.S.
Could someone please provide me with more references? I might write an essay on the Ion Proton sequencer. Thanks!

Sauce:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21776081

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2011/07/how-accurate-is-the-new-ion-torrent-genome-really/

Biology news on Phys.org
Here's the min-ion. Can do 150 million base pairs in 6 hours on a usb stick:

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2012-02/20/minion-dna-sequencer

Last edited by a moderator:
Pythagorean said:
Here's the min-ion. Can do 150 million base pairs in 6 hours on a usb stick:

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2012-02/20/minion-dna-sequencer

Impressive :)
$900
Is it one time use? There are over 2.9 billion base pairs in the human genome.
The operational life of the MinION is only about six hours, but during that time it can read more than 150 million base pairs.
Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Biosyn said:
Impressive :)
$900
Is it one time use? There are over 2.9 billion base pairs in the human genome.!
IIRC it's stackable as well though I may be thinking of something else. It's about time nanopore sequencing started taking off, it's been "only five years away" for decades. What will be interesting is when it is cheap enough and reusable enough for ecologists to simply wander out into the field, spend a day collecting hundreds of samples from plants, soil, water, insects, animals etc then leave them all running overnight to sequence them.

As a fellow scientist, I am extremely impressed with the advancements made by the Ion Proton 1. This technology has the potential to revolutionize the field of DNA sequencing, making it more accessible and affordable for researchers and clinicians alike. The fact that it can sequence most of a human genome for only $1000 is truly remarkable, considering the high cost associated with traditional sequencing methods.

Jonathan Rothberg's background in chemical engineering has definitely played a significant role in the development of this technology. His understanding of chemistry and materials has allowed for the creation of a highly accurate and efficient sequencer.

I am also aware of the work being done by researchers at IBM on a $100 sequencer that reads DNA fragments through holes on its surface. This is another exciting development in the field of DNA sequencing and it will be interesting to see how it compares to the Ion Proton 1.

As for references, I would recommend looking into the publications by Rothberg and his team on the Ion Proton 1, as well as the studies and reviews on its accuracy and efficiency. Some good starting points could be the articles in the sources provided in the original post, as well as publications in scientific journals such as Nature and Science.

I believe that the Ion Proton 1 has the potential to greatly impact not only the scientific community, but also the medical field and society as a whole. I look forward to reading your essay on this groundbreaking technology.

1. What is the Ion Proton 1?

The Ion Proton 1 is a next-generation sequencing (NGS) platform developed by Life Technologies. It is designed to quickly and accurately sequence DNA for a variety of research applications.

2. How does the Ion Proton 1 work?

The Ion Proton 1 uses semiconductor sequencing technology, which involves detecting changes in pH as nucleotides are incorporated into a growing DNA strand. This method allows for fast sequencing and does not require fluorescent labels, reducing the cost and complexity of the sequencing process.

3. What makes the Ion Proton 1 ideal for chemical engineers?

The Ion Proton 1 is ideal for chemical engineers because it can sequence large amounts of DNA quickly and accurately, making it useful for a wide range of applications such as genetic engineering, drug discovery, and biomaterial development. Its semiconductor technology also allows for easy integration with other chemical processes.

4. What are the advantages of using the Ion Proton 1 over other sequencing platforms?

Compared to other sequencing platforms, the Ion Proton 1 offers faster and more cost-effective sequencing. It also has a compact size, making it suitable for smaller laboratory spaces. In addition, the Ion Proton 1 has a streamlined workflow and easy-to-use software, making it accessible to a wider range of researchers.

5. Can the Ion Proton 1 be used for clinical applications?

Yes, the Ion Proton 1 has been used for various clinical applications such as cancer diagnosis and personalized medicine. It has also been approved by the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for clinical use in certain genetic tests.