Ionizing Radiation and Electron Emission

In summary, "ionizing radiation" refers to any form of energetic radiation that is capable of breaking molecular bonds and causing harm to living organisms. This includes alpha, beta, and gamma particles, as well as neutrons. The term "ionizing" refers to the ability of the radiation to remove electrons from atoms, which can lead to the breaking of molecular bonds. This is different from the process of decay, where a neutron may break apart and release an electron, but does not necessarily involve ionization. The distinction between "ionizing" and "non-ionizing" radiation is not always clear-cut and depends on the level of energy and dose of the radiation.
Hereformore
Can someone clarify what Ionizing Radiation is and how it relates to Alpha, Beta, and Gamma Emission and/or Absorption?

A question in the Princeton Review Science Workbook read:

The daughter nucleus of CS-137 is:...

and the answer is 137 - Barium.

The text says that Alpha, Beta, and Gamma Particles are destructive because of their ability to ionize atoms they collide with.

So this suggests (given the answer to the question) that the Ionizing Abilities of such radiation (alpha, beta, and gamma particles/radiation) can cause a neutron to break open and release an electron, thus leaving an extra proton (this is how CS-137 became Ba-137. Barium has 1 more proton than Cesium and Ba-137 has the same mass).

But in doing some side reading, I found that Alpha , Beta, and Gamma particles induce ionization by exciting electrons they collide with. This is different from breaking open a neutron. Can anyone clarify?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your sources seem to be all over the place...

"Ionizing radiation" is used to denote any radiation (alpha, beta, gamma, neutron, etc.) which is energetic enough to break the molecular bonds in your body and be harmful to you. Molecules are held together by chemistry, and chemistry is basically just how the outer shell of electrons in atoms arrange themselves so that bonds between atoms can form. If your radiation is strong enough that it can ionize atoms (i.e. remove atoms of electrons), then it is strong enough to break up (some) molecular bonds. It has nothing to do with "breaking up neutrons". The reason we split radiation into "ionizing" and "non-ionizing" radiation is that "radiation" by itself really just means particles in motion, it's a pretty blanket term (mostly for historical reasons). Usually radiation would imply that these "particles in motion" came from some sort of nuclear reaction, but it doesn't always have to be. Light, for example, is a form of radiation, just like the electrons in beta decay, the helium nuclei in alpha decay, or the individual neutrons in neutron emission, are radiation. The light from your computer is a form of radiation. It is non-ionizing radiation, and so it will not harm you. Ionizing radiation, like gamma rays, or high-energy alpha/beta particles or neutrons, WILL hurt you if you receive a significant enough dose.

Matterwave said:
Your sources seem to be all over the place...

"Ionizing radiation" is used to denote any radiation (alpha, beta, gamma, neutron, etc.) which is energetic enough to break the molecular bonds in your body and be harmful to you. Molecules are held together by chemistry, and chemistry is basically just how the outer shell of electrons in atoms arrange themselves so that bonds between atoms can form. If your radiation is strong enough that it can ionize atoms (i.e. remove atoms of electrons), then it is strong enough to break up (some) molecular bonds. It has nothing to do with "breaking up neutrons". The reason we split radiation into "ionizing" and "non-ionizing" radiation is that "radiation" by itself really just means particles in motion, it's a pretty blanket term (mostly for historical reasons). Usually radiation would imply that these "particles in motion" came from some sort of nuclear reaction, but it doesn't always have to be. Light, for example, is a form of radiation, just like the electrons in beta decay, the helium nuclei in alpha decay, or the individual neutrons in neutron emission, are radiation. The light from your computer is a form of radiation. It is non-ionizing radiation, and so it will not harm you. Ionizing radiation, like gamma rays, or high-energy alpha/beta particles or neutrons, WILL hurt you if you receive a significant enough dose.
Okay thanks a lot. I think i got confused because you hear of "Ionization" in chemistry when an atom is hit with radiation to eject an electron.

I think I was/am confusing decay vs ionizing radiation.

Decay [can] result in a neutron breaking apart to release a beta particle, and a beta particle can be an electron.

But ionizing radiation causes electrons to be ejected. When we speak of ionizing radiation is it the same radiation we speak of when it comes to ionization energy? In biology, is it the same idea but applied to bonds? I guess only looking at ionization at the atomic level (on a single atom basis) I neglected to consider that ionization could apply to bonds as well. Am i on the right track?

Hereformore said:
Okay thanks a lot. I think i got confused because you hear of "Ionization" in chemistry when an atom is hit with radiation to eject an electron.

I think I was/am confusing decay vs ionizing radiation.

Decay [can] result in a neutron breaking apart to release a beta particle, and a beta particle can be an electron.

But ionizing radiation causes electrons to be ejected. When we speak of ionizing radiation is it the same radiation we speak of when it comes to ionization energy? In biology, is it the same idea but applied to bonds? I guess only looking at ionization at the atomic level (on a single atom basis) I neglected to consider that ionization could apply to bonds as well. Am i on the right track?

A beta particle IS an electron. Beta decay is at its heart the process ##n\rightarrow p^+ +e^-## where a neutron, which is usually inside a nucleus but could be free, turns into a proton and an electron. I would not use the term "break" for the neutron since that would imply the neutron is made up of a proton and an electron, but it is not. This ejection of the electron has nothing to do with ionizing an atom. Ionizing an atom is when you take an already existing electron from the atom's shell of electrons and remove it. In a beta decay, the electron comes from inside the nucleus, not from the shell of electrons which swarm the atom.

"Ionizing radiation" versus "non-ionizing radiation" is not an extremely clear-cut distinction. It is similar to like "harmful radiation" versus "not-harmful radiation". It really depends on the energy of the decay products.

Ionizing radiation refers to any type of radiation that has enough energy to remove electrons from atoms or molecules, resulting in the formation of ions. This process is known as ionization. Alpha, beta, and gamma emission are all types of ionizing radiation, but they differ in terms of their ability to penetrate matter and the types of particles they emit.

Alpha particles are positively charged particles consisting of two protons and two neutrons, which are essentially the same as a helium nucleus. They have a relatively large mass and a low speed, which means they can only travel short distances and are easily stopped by a thin layer of material. However, they have a high ionizing ability because of their large mass and positive charge, which allows them to interact strongly with atoms and molecules.

Beta particles, on the other hand, are high-speed electrons or positrons (positively charged electrons) emitted from the nucleus of an atom during radioactive decay. They have a smaller mass and a higher speed compared to alpha particles, which allows them to penetrate deeper into matter. However, their ionizing ability is lower than alpha particles because of their smaller mass and charge.

Gamma rays are high-energy electromagnetic waves with no mass or charge. They are emitted from the nucleus of an atom during radioactive decay and have the highest ability to penetrate matter. However, their ionizing ability is relatively low because they do not have a charge and interact with matter through indirect mechanisms.

In terms of electron emission, both alpha and beta particles can cause the ejection of electrons from atoms they collide with, either through direct collisions or through the creation of ionized atoms that can then release electrons. This can result in the formation of new elements, as seen in the example of CS-137 decaying into Barium. Gamma rays, on the other hand, do not directly cause electron emission but can induce ionization in atoms and molecules through indirect mechanisms.

Overall, while all three types of radiation can cause ionization, their abilities to do so differ based on their properties and interactions with matter.

1. What is ionizing radiation?

Ionizing radiation is a type of energy that has enough force to remove electrons from atoms or molecules, creating ions. This can happen through various forms of radiation, such as alpha particles, beta particles, gamma rays, and X-rays.

2. How does ionizing radiation affect living organisms?

Ionizing radiation can damage living cells by breaking chemical bonds within them. This can lead to mutations in DNA, which can potentially cause cancer or other health problems. However, the effects of ionizing radiation depend on the type of radiation, the dose received, and the duration of exposure.

3. What is electron emission?

Electron emission refers to the process of electrons being released from atoms or molecules. This can occur naturally through ionizing radiation, or it can be induced through external forces, such as heat or electricity.

4. How is ionizing radiation used in everyday life?

Ionizing radiation has many practical applications, including medical imaging (X-rays and CT scans), cancer treatment (radiation therapy), and sterilization of medical equipment. It is also used in industrial processes, such as food irradiation and testing materials for defects.

5. How do we protect ourselves from ionizing radiation?

There are several ways to protect ourselves from ionizing radiation. These include limiting exposure time, increasing distance from the source, and using shielding materials, such as lead or concrete. It is also important to follow safety guidelines and regulations when working with sources of ionizing radiation.