Irodov Problems: Pre-requisites & Suggestions

• Thread starter Amar.alchemy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Irodov
In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulties of solving problems from the Irodov textbook in physics and suggests using other resources such as HC Verma or Krotov for better understanding of concepts. The conversation also encourages perseverance and not relying on complete solutions or asking for help too soon.
Amar.alchemy
Irodov problems??

Hi all,

I have completed my engineering degree in E&C but now i want to switch my career path to physics. So i was referring "University Physics" by young and Freedman. I have solved all the worked examples and all the Exercise Problems at the end of the chapter of Classical mechanics. I have also some knowledge on Calculus. Then I took Irodov textbook to solve some of the problems. I tried to solve first 8 problems of the conservation laws and I was not able to solve even a single problem out of 8. My confidence level has really gone very low. Is there any pre-requisite to solve the Irodov textbook problems?? Is my present knowledge of physics not sufficient to solve those problems?? Kindly give me any suggestions...:confused:

Physics news on Phys.org

1) Don't refer to the complete solutions or hints
2) Use your physics textbook for understanding concepts
3) Keep on trying ...
4) Don't ask for help if you have enough time

As you already noticed it is really hard but it gets easier as you solve more and more problems.

Iridov isn't the easiest book, however it isn't the hardest one either. Go and get yourself a copy of HC Verma, insanely brilliant explanations of all the basic concepts that you would need. The thing with engg is that the techniques we generally use are not always the best ones to solve pure physics problems. After you're done with Irodov, try Krotov :p... that's a crazy book.

What are Irodov problems?

Irodov problems refer to a collection of physics problems compiled by the Russian physicist A. P. Irodov. These problems are known for their level of difficulty and are often used as a resource for students preparing for competitive exams in physics.

What are the prerequisites for solving Irodov problems?

To solve Irodov problems, one should have a strong foundation in physics, especially in mechanics, electricity and magnetism, and optics. A good understanding of calculus and algebra is also necessary. It is recommended to have completed high school physics and calculus courses before attempting these problems.

How can I improve my problem-solving skills for Irodov problems?

Solving Irodov problems requires a combination of conceptual understanding and problem-solving skills. To improve these skills, one can practice solving similar problems from textbooks and previous exams. It is also helpful to break down the problem into smaller parts and use diagrams and equations to understand the concepts involved.

Are there any tips or suggestions for solving Irodov problems?

One important tip is to read the problem carefully and understand what is being asked before attempting to solve it. It is also helpful to try different approaches and methods to solve a problem. If you get stuck, it is recommended to take a break and come back to the problem with a fresh perspective. Additionally, it is beneficial to discuss the problems with peers or seek help from a teacher or tutor.

Where can I find solutions to Irodov problems?

There are various online resources and books that provide solutions to Irodov problems. However, it is recommended to first attempt the problems on your own before referring to the solutions. This will help in developing problem-solving skills and understanding the concepts better.