Do PIR motion sensors for toilet lights really consume 500 watts?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
ramonegumpert
Messages
187
Reaction score
0
Dear Experts

I come across a website showing specifications of a PIR motion sensor for toilets.

I quote the specs :

Type 180° Motion Sensor
Application Toilet, WC, Bathrooms, Restroom, Cloakroom
Technology Wall mount Passive Infrared PIR motion sensor
Reach 10 meters
Time Setting 5 Sec - 15 Minutes
Lux setting facility 2-2000 Lux
Load switching 500 Watts Inductive - 230V AC



I cannot believe it!

A motion sensor consumes 500watts ?

Is this typical for say a normal office toilet?

For instance, a PIR motion sensor used to save toilet lighting throughout the day.

So, I just like to know how much electricity typically such a sensor consumes and is the above specs typical?

Thanks very much .

Have a nice day.

Best regards
Ramone
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
No, the sensor itself only consumes less than a few watts, but it can switch lights which consume up to 500 watts.

I have a motion sensor that switches a pair of 150 watt lamps when it detects motion and provided it is not in daylight.
The lamps go out after 30 seconds or so.

So, yes, yours is probably pretty typical.
 
I'm surprised that the specs don't indicate standby power usage. That could be a selling point where other specs are typical.
 
NascentOxygen said:
I'm surprised that the specs don't indicate standby power usage. That could be a selling point where other specs are typical.

Maybe they themselves do not know either.
 
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for your comments.

Does anyone know how much standby power is consumed ? For example, 1% out of total usage?

Thanks.
regards
Ramone
 
Here is a motion sensor module:

http://www.parallax.com/dl/docs/prod/audiovis/pirsensor-v1.2.pdf

As you can see, it runs off 5 volts DC and draws less than 100 μA.

If one of these was used in a mains powered device, there would be losses in developing 5 volts DC but the motion sensor itself would not draw much power.

This power would be constant, though. 24 hours a day.