Is a 1-2T electromagnet smaller than 2 cm by 1 cm possible?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Beer-monster
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Magnet
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 4K views
Beer-monster
Messages
285
Reaction score
0
Does anyone know if its commericially possible to get a 1-2T electromagnet (no superconductors) but one that's very small i.e. no wider than 2 cm and no taller than 1 cm (with the field in z)?

It seems doubtful but I'm not sure where to look, google isn't helping much.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi beer. I'm pretty much a dummy when it comes to magnetic fields, but what I do know is that MRI magnets run between 1 and 3 Tesla. The coils are about 3 feet in diameter and about 4 feet long, consisting of superconducting windings such that the thickness of all these windings is on the order of 2 to 6 inches. They then run a few hundreds of amps through these windings which are immersed in liquid helium to make them superconducting. That's a lot of mass and energy to produce 1 to 3 T, so to suggest you might get 1 or 2 T out of something as small as you're suggesting seems totally unreasonable.
 
No chance. A rare-earth permanent magnet of that size, however, would have about 1T right at the pole face. The field would fall off rapidly with distance.
 
Yeah I guessed it would be impossible, just needed to know for sure.

I looked into Nd magnets, but the small ones I found were over 1T but only in circuit. In practise they were more like 0.2 T. Don't suppose anyone knows of ones stronger?

I doubt piling them on top of each other would work? ^_-