Is $A^4=1$ for a $3\times 3$ matrix over $\mathbb{Q}$ if $A^8=1$?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Chris L T521
  • Start date
In summary, the notation $A^4=1$ for a $3\times 3$ matrix over $\mathbb{Q}$ means that when the matrix $A$ is raised to the 4th power, the resulting matrix is equal to the identity matrix. It is not always true that $A^4=1$ if $A^8=1$, but there are some matrices that satisfy both equations. The order of the matrix $A$ does not affect the truth of these equations, and they cannot be used alone to find the inverse of a matrix. Additional information is needed for this purpose.
Chris L T521
Gold Member
MHB
Here's this week's problem (and the first Graduate POTW of 2013!).

-----

Problem: Prove that if $A$ is a $3\times 3$ matrix over $\mathbb{Q}$ such that $A^8=1$, then in fact $A^4=1$.

-----

Physics news on Phys.org
This week's problem was correctly answered by Deveno and Opalg. You can find Opalg's solution below:

First, notice that if $A$ is considered as an element of $M_3(\mathbb{C})$ it is diagonalisable because it has finite order. (If its Jordan form had any off-diagonal elements, it could not have finite order.) Its eigenvalues are 8th roots of unity, and we have to show that in fact they are 4th roots of unity.

The irreducible factorisation of $A^8-I=0$ over $\mathbb{Q}$ is $(A-I)(A+I)(A^2+I)(A^4+I) = 0$. The polynomial $(x-1)(x+1)(x^2+1)(x^4+1)$ must therefore be a multiple of the minimal polynomial of $A$ The characteristic polynomial $p(x)$ of $A$ must be a product formed using those same irreducible factors, namely $x\pm1$, $x^2+1$ and $x^4+1.$ It has degree 3, so it cannot involve the factor $x^4+1.$ So it must be formed from copies of the other factors, whose roots are all 4th roots of unity.

Related to Is $A^4=1$ for a $3\times 3$ matrix over $\mathbb{Q}$ if $A^8=1$?

What does $A^4=1$ mean for a $3\times 3$ matrix over $\mathbb{Q}$?

This notation means that when the matrix $A$ is raised to the 4th power, the resulting matrix is equal to the identity matrix, which is a matrix with 1s on the main diagonal and 0s everywhere else.

Is it always true that $A^4=1$ for a $3\times 3$ matrix over $\mathbb{Q}$ if $A^8=1$?

No, it is not always true. There are some matrices over $\mathbb{Q}$ that satisfy $A^8=1$ but do not satisfy $A^4=1$. However, there are also matrices that satisfy both equations.

What does it mean if $A^8=1$ for a $3\times 3$ matrix over $\mathbb{Q}$?

This notation means that when the matrix $A$ is raised to the 8th power, the resulting matrix is equal to the identity matrix.

Does the order of the matrix $A$ affect whether $A^4=1$ or $A^8=1$ is true?

No, the order of the matrix $A$ does not affect whether these equations are true. As long as $A$ is a $3\times 3$ matrix over $\mathbb{Q}$, the equations can be either true or false.

Can the equations $A^4=1$ and $A^8=1$ be used to find the inverse of a $3\times 3$ matrix over $\mathbb{Q}$?

No, these equations alone cannot be used to find the inverse of a matrix. Additional information, such as the values of the matrix elements, is needed to find the inverse.