Is a Career in Science the Right Path for Me?

• Thread starter jonfray
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Science
In summary, the person speaking is a older student, currently pursuing an education in Political Science but considering a career in Physics or Engineering due to a newfound interest and ability in mathematics. They are seeking advice on how to explore this potential career path further, such as taking an introductory physics class or interning with real physicists.
jonfray
Hello good people, new fish here.

A little context for you:
I am a bit of an older student, I am still working on my Associate thanks to my military career slowing down my education with training and overseas duty.

I am currently on tract to get my education in Political Science, specifically Governing and International Politics. I was a poor student in high school and didn't take math seriously, so I am now paying the price by having to rebuild my mathematics foundation.

The funny thing is, I am finding I am actually pretty good at it. Since math was always my barrier to getting a career in science, I am reevaluating myself and what I want to do with my life.

I have always had a love of science and technology, and lately have been considering maybe pursuing a career in Physics or Engineering. Astronomy and Astrophysics are by far my favorites in the P field, in Engineering I am a fan of biomechatronics and development.

I wanted to come here and ask some people with experience if this might be right for me or if this is just an interest of mine that I am taking too seriously. I am more than able to continue the career path I am on, but I want to be absolutely sure I am making the right choice.

What is it I should do to see if this really is something I can do for a career?
-edit-
Is there any literature I should read? Should I interview or try interning for real Physicists?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Probably the best place to start is to enroll in an introductory physics class. If you have the option do it as an elective in your current studies.

1. What skills do I need to have to be successful in a career in science?

To be successful in a career in science, it is important to have a strong foundation in math and analytical thinking. You should also have excellent problem-solving and critical thinking skills, as well as the ability to work well in a team. Additionally, strong communication skills, attention to detail, and a passion for learning are all important qualities for a career in science.

2. What are the different branches of science?

Science is a broad field that encompasses many different branches and disciplines. Some of the main branches of science include biology, chemistry, physics, astronomy, geology, and environmental science. Within each branch, there are also many sub-disciplines and areas of specialization.

3. What types of jobs can I get with a degree in science?

With a degree in science, there are many different career paths you can pursue. Some common jobs in the science field include research scientist, lab technician, science teacher, environmental consultant, and healthcare professional. There are also many opportunities for careers in industry, government, and academia.

4. Is a degree in science necessary for a career in science?

While having a degree in science can be beneficial for a career in the field, it is not always necessary. Some science-related jobs may require a specific degree, while others may value relevant experience and skills more. It is important to research the requirements for your desired career path and determine if a degree is necessary.

5. What are the current trends in the field of science?

The field of science is constantly evolving, and there are always new trends and developments to keep up with. Some current trends in science include the use of artificial intelligence and machine learning in research, advancements in gene editing technology, and the growing emphasis on sustainability and environmental science. It is important to stay informed and adapt to these trends in order to have a successful career in science.