Is a Double Bond Required in the Lewis Structure of SnCl2?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 13K views
blue bloom
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
a question in Lewis structure?

I know that Lewis structure is so easy to discuss ..but I have this compound :
SnCl2
when I drew the Lewis structure of its , I had to make Double bond between the Cl & Sn
..but a teacher told me once that when the Cl is not the central atom it can just make a single bond ..
so that it looks so weird for me !
Is it an abnormal case -like PO4- ?
what is the real structure ?
 
Chemistry news on Phys.org


One free electron pair on tin, single bonds to the chlorines which have full octets.
(The octet rule doesn't apply to tin.)
 


alxm said:
(The octet rule doesn't apply to tin.)

More precisely, octet rule works mainly for the second period of periodic table.

--
 


Don't worry - there is no obvious border where it works, where it doesn't. Octet rule and Lewis structures are only a simplification of the reality, no wonder they regularly fail.

--
 


actually ..in MY book they are talking about the octet rule as a main rule
I mean.. it works with all the compounds except some odd of them
& I still do not know the structure of (SnCl2):shy:
 


blue bloom said:
actually ..in MY book they are talking about the octet rule as a main rule
I mean.. it works with all the compounds except some odd of them

Let me guess - that's your first year of chemistry?

--