Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to draw Lewis structure of molecules with N

1. Mar 17, 2013 #1
    Many times, I find it hard to draw correct Lewis structure of molecules with nitrogen. For instance: the Lewis structure of H2CNN. I thought it should be double bond between C and N and single bond between N and N, like this: Photo on 3-17-13 at 1.54 PM_meitu_1.jpg
    But actually it's not. I have done many problems like this wrong.

Please help me out! Thx!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 17, 2013 #2

DrDu

Science Advisor

That's certainly a correct Lewis structure for this molecule. However, when viewed at as a representation of a valence bond structure, it may not be a structure with high importance.
    The point is that the rightmost nitrogen has only a sextet. Transforming the lone pair of the central atom into a bond between the two nitrogens will lead to a structure fulfilling the octet rule on all atoms.

4. Mar 17, 2013 #3
    Thank you so much! It helps me a lot!

5. Mar 17, 2013 #4
    Could you give some more examples (just the molecular formula, not necessarily your attempts) of problems like this (since as you say you've tried several of them)? Because I originally did not get this one straight away and would love to work on a few more :)

6. Mar 18, 2013 #5
    OK, I will reply to you when I find those problems. I could not remember where exactly are they.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook