Is a gaussian distribution 'like a sine wave'

In summary, the conversation revolved around the comparison of a Gaussian distribution and a sine wave. The person sharing an office with the speaker argued that everything in nature behaves like a sine wave, to which the speaker replied that exponentials with imaginary arguments are sine waves, but a Gaussian distribution is not. The speaker also mentions the use of Fourier transforms to describe functions, but notes that this does not mean all functions behave like sines and cosines. The speaker's office mate suggested that a Gaussian curve and a sine wave may have some similarities, but the speaker and another person in the conversation both agreed that they are very different functions. The conversation ended with the speaker seeking confirmation and support for their understanding of the differences between the two functions.
leright
So I was having a conversation with the guy I share an office with and I brought up the gaussian distribution to show the probability distribution of energies of electrons generated by a filament. He mentioned that it 'looks like a sine wave', and I said 'sorta, but it's not a sine wave'. He said that everything in nature behaves like a sine wave and then I replied that exponentials with imaginary arguments are sine waves, but a gaussian distribution isn't really like a sine wave.

So, is there any truth to my office mate's argument, or is it irrelevant or incorrect to even bring it up?

I suppose all functions can be described by an infinite sum of sines and cosines of a spectrum of frequencies and phases angles using Fourier transforms even if the function isn't periodic, but I can't conclude that this means all functions behave like sines and cosines.

Maybe I am just not understanding his argument. It was probably a waste of time to et into an argument about in the first place, but I thought I'd get your opinion.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Here is a very crude idea:
A gaussian curve should have an identifiable amplitude and identifiable period. Would a sine wave duplicate or nearly enough duplicate the points on the gaussian curve? ...
... See, I told you my idea is very very crude.

The Gaussian curve has one max, is always >0 and tails off to 0 as x-> -oo or oo. The sine curve oscillates between -1 and +1 in a completely repetitive way. In no way do they look alike.

mathman said:
The Gaussian curve has one max, is always >0 and tails off to 0 as x-> -oo or oo. The sine curve oscillates between -1 and +1 in a completely repetitive way. In no way do they look alike.

Yes, this is the obvious answer and is all I wanted to hear. I was just looking for a second opinion or backup opinion, since this pointless argument dragged on for a while and I wasn't really able to convince him that a Gaussian distribution wasn't really 'like' a sine wave.

Thanks for the support. :)

Sure it is. It's kind of wavy.

The two functions are nothing at all alike, as mathman says. Furthermore, a probability distribution function must have a finite integral, so a sine wave is not even a valid pdf.

In one sense, though, both sine waves and Gaussians are similarly 'special.' Sine waves are eigenfunctions of the differential equations that govern linear systems, which means that if you put a sine wave into a linear system, you get another sine wave out. Gaussians are the eigenfunctions of the Fourier transform, which means that if you take the Fourier transform of a Gaussian, you get back another Gaussian.

Since linear systems and Fourier transforms exist everywhere in nature (acoustics, optics, electronics, etc.), they are both extremely important.

- Warren

leright said:
So I was having a conversation with the guy I share an office with and I brought up the gaussian distribution to show the probability distribution of energies of electrons generated by a filament.

Since the above statement indicates that you are at least somewhat familiar with a Gaussian distribution I find it very puzzling that you failed to notice that it was different to a sine wave. It’s a bit like asking if a gasoline motor and a rodeo clown are sort of the same thing. It would certainly seem a strange question, but even more so if the person asking it was apparently already at least somewhat familiar with both of those items.

uart said:
Since the above statement indicates that you are at least somewhat familiar with a Gaussian distribution I find it very puzzling that you failed to notice that it was different to a sine wave. It’s a bit like asking if a gasoline motor and a rodeo clown are sort of the same thing. It would certainly seem a strange question, but even more so if the person asking it was apparently already at least somewhat familiar with both of those items.

no uart, it was clear as day that they were different to me...but I just wanted a second opinion to demonstrate to this person I am arguing with that they are in fact different, since I can't seem to get it through his head no matter what I say.

Can this person draw the two functions on paper?

- Warren

1. Is a gaussian distribution similar to a sine wave?

No, a gaussian distribution is not similar to a sine wave. While both have a bell-shaped curve, a gaussian distribution is symmetric while a sine wave is not. Additionally, a gaussian distribution can have any mean and standard deviation, while a sine wave has a fixed amplitude and period.

2. Can a gaussian distribution be described by a sine wave function?

No, a gaussian distribution cannot be described by a sine wave function. A gaussian distribution is described by the probability density function (PDF) which is a completely different mathematical function from a sine wave. The PDF of a gaussian distribution is a bell-shaped curve while the function of a sine wave is a periodic oscillation.

3. Are there any similarities between a gaussian distribution and a sine wave?

Yes, there are some similarities between a gaussian distribution and a sine wave. Both have a central point with decreasing values on either side. They also both have a peak or maximum value. However, these similarities are only superficial as the underlying mathematical functions and properties are different.

4. Can a gaussian distribution be transformed into a sine wave?

No, a gaussian distribution cannot be transformed into a sine wave. They are fundamentally different mathematical functions and cannot be converted into each other. However, a gaussian function can be approximated by a sum of sine waves using a Fourier transform.

5. What are some real-life examples of gaussian distributions that are not like sine waves?

Some examples of gaussian distributions that are not like sine waves include heights and weights of a population, IQ scores, and test scores. These distributions are typically symmetric and bell-shaped, but do not exhibit the periodic oscillation of a sine wave. Additionally, physical phenomena such as radioactive decay and measurement errors also follow gaussian distributions but are not sinusoidal in nature.