Is a Line Through the Origin Always a Subspace of R^n?

  • Thread starter Thread starter hkus10
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Subspace
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
hkus10
Messages
50
Reaction score
0
1) Let x0 be a fixed vector in a vector space V. Show that the set W consisting of all scalar multiples cx0 of x0 is a subspace of V.

What techniques should I use to prove this?

2a) Show that a line lo through the origin of R^n is a subspace of R^n.
2b) show that a line l in R^n not passing through the origin is not a subspace of R^n.

What techniques and direction should I use to solve these problems?

Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org


hkus10 said:
1) Let x0 be a fixed vector in a vector space V. Show that the set W consisting of all scalar multiples cx0 of x0 is a subspace of V.

What techniques should I use to prove this?
Show that the 0 vector is in W.
Show that W is closed under vector addition. I.e., if w1 and w2 are in W, then so is w1 + w2.
Show that W is closed under scalar addition. I.e., if w is in W, then cw is also in W.
hkus10 said:
2a) Show that a line lo through the origin of R^n is a subspace of R^n.
2b) show that a line l in R^n not passing through the origin is not a subspace of R^n.

What techniques and direction should I use to solve these problems?

Thanks
Same ideas as in 1. For 2b, one or more of the conditions won't be satisfied.