Is ABS or Stainless steel more inert? (moved to Engineering)

• Thread starter kenny1999
  • Start date
I'm going to purchases some flexible downpipe for my home, for toilets and kitchen, in the market I can find mainly stainless steel or ABS, which material is usually more inert to common home liquid wastes and chemicals? From time to time I will flush some drain unclogger or other cleaning chemicals down the pipes.

Answers and Replies

anorlunda
Staff Emeritus
Insights Author
Have you checked your local building and plumbing codes? They might specify what materials you are allowed to use. Not following codes could mean that your home insurance won't pay in case of a future claim.

Have you checked your local building and plumbing codes? They might specify what materials you are allowed to use. Not following codes could mean that your home insurance won't pay in case of a future claim.
I haven't heard about this in my country. I don't have home insurance either, nothing valuable, or too valuable that it is priceless to be claimed (e.g. old pictures)

marcusl
Science Advisor
Gold Member
In this country, ABS is a preferred material. It should be rigid with glued fittings, not flexible and definitely not corrugated. Look for ABS pipe, fittings and glue marked DWV (drain, waste and vent) and don’t forget to install vent stacks through the roof to prevent sewage gas buildup. You should look up your local building codes to ensure a safe installation.

jrmichler
Mentor
I haven't heard about this in my country. I don't have home insurance either, nothing valuable, or too valuable that it is priceless to be claimed (e.g. old pictures)
Your country, like every other developed country, has a plumbing code. Search term (your country) plumbing code will easily find it.

Likes Astronuc and russ_watters