Is ABS or Stainless steel more inert? (moved to Engineering)

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
4 replies · 2K views
kenny1999
Messages
235
Reaction score
5
I'm going to purchases some flexible downpipe for my home, for toilets and kitchen, in the market I can find mainly stainless steel or ABS, which material is usually more inert to common home liquid wastes and chemicals? From time to time I will flush some drain unclogger or other cleaning chemicals down the pipes.
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
Have you checked your local building and plumbing codes? They might specify what materials you are allowed to use. Not following codes could mean that your home insurance won't pay in case of a future claim.
 
anorlunda said:
Have you checked your local building and plumbing codes? They might specify what materials you are allowed to use. Not following codes could mean that your home insurance won't pay in case of a future claim.
I haven't heard about this in my country. I don't have home insurance either, nothing valuable, or too valuable that it is priceless to be claimed (e.g. old pictures)
 
In this country, ABS is a preferred material. It should be rigid with glued fittings, not flexible and definitely not corrugated. Look for ABS pipe, fittings and glue marked DWV (drain, waste and vent) and don’t forget to install vent stacks through the roof to prevent sewage gas buildup. You should look up your local building codes to ensure a safe installation.
 
kenny1999 said:
I haven't heard about this in my country. I don't have home insurance either, nothing valuable, or too valuable that it is priceless to be claimed (e.g. old pictures)
Your country, like every other developed country, has a plumbing code. Search term (your country) plumbing code will easily find it.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Astronuc and russ_watters