Is any constant vector field conservative?

In summary, a constant vector field like F = kj is conservative if it has a scalar potential and is curl free.
Caio Graco
Is a constant vector field like F = kj conservative? Since the work of F for any closed path is null it seems that F is conservative but for a force to be conservative two conditions must be satisfied:

a) The force must be a function of the position.
b) The circulation of force is zero.

My question is about the first condition. For the given vector field I believe that there is no dependence on the position, because the field does not depend on any of the x, y, or z coordinates. And if so, the given field is non-conservative. The relation of this doubt with the Physics is given as far as the uniform gravitational field or electric.

Physics news on Phys.org
Caio Graco said:
For the given vector field I believe that there is no dependence on the position, because the field does not depend on any of the x, y, or z coordinates. And if so, the given field is non-conservative.
I think that rule has been mis-stated above. The correct statement is that force can only depend on position. That is, it cannot depend on anything else, such as velocity.

A spatially-constant field in flat space-time depends only on position. The dependence is the function that maps every point in space to the same force vector. It gets a bit more complex when spacetime is curved, because then it no longer makes sense to talk about the force being the same at two different points.

Likes Caio Graco and Orodruin
Just to add to #2, it is relatively easy to show that being conservative is equivalent to being curl free. Clearly a constant field has zero curl.

Likes Caio Graco
Caio Graco said:
Is a constant vector field like F = kj conservative? Since the work of F for any closed path is null it seems that F is conservative but for a force to be conservative two conditions must be satisfied:

My question is about the first condition. For the given vector field I believe that there is no dependence on the position, because the field does not depend on any of the x, y, or z coordinates. And if so, the given field is non-conservative. The relation of this doubt with the Physics is given as far as the uniform gravitational field or electric.

A constant function is still a function. What condition a) means is that it does not change over time. If a vector field is, say, diminishing over time, then it not conservative.

Likes Caio Graco
Caio Graco said:

If ##{\bf F} = \langle a,b,c \rangle##is a constant field (with ##x,y,z##-components ##a,b,c## then ##{\bf F} = \nabla V,## where ##V = ax+by+cz.## Any field of the form ##\nabla V## is conservative.

Likes Caio Graco and PeroK
Ok, it has been given in bits and pieces already, but not explicitly so let me summarise.

The following three statements about a vector field ##\vec v## are equivalent (as long as time independence holds):
  1. ##\vec v## has a scalar potential ##\phi## such that ##\vec v = - \nabla\phi##.
  2. ##\vec v## is conservative, i.e., $$\oint_\Gamma \vec v \cdot d\vec x = 0$$ for all closed curves ##\Gamma##.
  3. ##\vec v## is curl free, i.e., ##\nabla \times \vec v = 0##.
It is rather easy to show that these are equivalent. 2 and 3 are directly related to the curl theorem, 1 directly implies 3 since ##\nabla \times \nabla\phi = 0## regardless of ##\phi##, and using 2 you can easily construct an explicit potential, thereby implying 1.

Likes andrewkirk, Caio Graco and PeroK
3. is only equivalent of the domain of the vector field is simply connected.

The paradigmatic counter example is the "potential vortex"

$$\vec{V}=A \begin{pmatrix} -y \\ x \\ 0 \end{pmatrix} \frac{1}{x^2+y^2}.$$
It's easy to see that everywhere, where ##\vec{V}## is well defined (i.e., everywhere except along the ##z## axis) is curl free but that any loop around the ##z## axis gives ##2 \pi A \neq 0##.

You can find a potential in any simply connected part of the domain, i.e., in ##\mathbb{R}^3## minus one arbitrary half-plane with the ##z## axis as boundary.

Likes Caio Graco

1. What is a constant vector field?

A constant vector field is a type of vector field where the magnitude and direction of the vector remains the same at every point in space. This means that the vector does not change as the position changes.

2. How can I determine if a constant vector field is conservative?

A constant vector field is conservative if it satisfies the condition of being irrotational, meaning that its curl is equal to zero. This can be determined by taking the partial derivatives of the vector components and checking if they are equal.

3. What does it mean for a vector field to be conservative?

A conservative vector field is one where the work done by the vector field on a particle moving along a closed path is equal to zero. This means that the path taken by the particle does not affect the total work done by the vector field.

4. How can I use the concept of conservative vector fields in real life?

Conservative vector fields have many applications in physics and engineering, such as in the study of fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and mechanics. For example, in fluid dynamics, the velocity field of an ideal fluid is a conservative vector field.

5. Is every constant vector field conservative?

No, not every constant vector field is conservative. A constant vector field must also satisfy the condition of being irrotational in order to be considered conservative. If the vector field has a non-zero curl, it is not conservative.