Is Building a Radio Transmitter for Wireless Earphones a Feasible Solution?

  • Thread starter Thread starter daniel_i_l
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Building Wireless
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 6K views
daniel_i_l
Gold Member
Messages
864
Reaction score
0
I wanted to get wireless (bluetooth) earphones for my mp3 player but when I checked I found that they were way out of my price range (bluetooth earphones for phones with bluetooth are relatively cheep, but for a regular mp3 player they're expensive ~ 200 dollars).
So I had an idea: I can make a radio transmitter that plugs into where my earphones normally plug in and make it transmit the music at some AM frequency up to about a meter - and then make a tiny radio receiver for that frequency only which I connect to some earphones. The I just have to plug the transmitter into the mp3 and the music will be transmitted to the earphones.
Now, I've never actually built a transmitter before (just the receiver) though I'm pretty sure I know how. So my question is - do you think that this is a feasible solution to the problem? Would it be possible to build a transmitter that didn't substantially lower the sound quality? Are there better solutions to this problem?
Thanks.
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
How about some fm radio headphones and a fm modulator like they sell for playing mp3's in your car. It would all be < $50 I would think.