Is chirality a conserved quantity?

In summary, the conversation discusses the properties of fermions, specifically their chirality. It is mentioned that there are two sets of fermions - left-chiral and right-chiral - and that every electron in the body can possess either chirality. The question is posed whether these chirality states can change or if they are more abstract and cannot be assigned to a single electron. The topic of weak interactions is also brought up, wondering if some electrons in the body will never undergo these interactions. It is suggested that one could possibly replace all fermions in the body with right-handed particles to gain immunity to radiation, but this is proven to be incorrect. The conversation ends with a question about the measurements of the number of right and left-handed particles
haael
From what I understand, there are 2 sets of fermions, one left-chiral and one right-chiral. Every electron in my body can be left-handed or right-handed. Do they stay the same forever or can they change chirality? Or is it more abstract property and a single electron can not be assigned chirality like electrical charge?

If my intuition is true, does it mean that some electrons in my body will never undergo weak interactions? Or can I possibly replace all fermions in my body with right-handed particles and gain, say, partial immunity to radiation?

If this is true, have any measurements been made how many particles in the Universe are right or left-handed?

Physics news on Phys.org
The physical low-energy states are linear combinations of left- and right-handed electrons. You cannot escape weak interactions by "being made of right-handed particles" as you suggest.

So chirality states are not energy states. That's what I needed to know, thank you.

1. What is chirality?

Chirality is a property of molecules that have a non-superimposable mirror image. This means that the molecule and its mirror image are not identical and cannot be aligned in the same way.

2. Why is chirality important?

Chirality is important because it affects the biological activity, properties, and interactions of molecules. In the human body, for example, only one enantiomer (chiral form) of a drug may be effective, while the other may be ineffective or even harmful.

3. What does it mean for chirality to be a conserved quantity?

A conserved quantity is a physical property that remains constant throughout a process or interaction. In the case of chirality, this means that the chirality of a molecule will remain the same during chemical reactions or physical processes.

4. How is chirality determined?

Chirality is determined by the spatial arrangement of atoms in a molecule. A molecule is chiral if it has four different groups attached to a central carbon atom. This is known as a chiral center.

5. Can chirality change over time?

No, chirality is a conserved quantity and cannot change over time. However, a chiral molecule can be converted into its mirror image (the other enantiomer) through chemical reactions or physical processes, but the overall chirality of the molecule remains the same.