Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is consciousness less than whole?

1. Apr 18, 2004 #1
    If consciousness is divisible, can its parts be counted mathematically, be attributed to individual physical entities, depend upon physical parameters or be considered greater as a whole than separately?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 18, 2004 #2

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Could be emergent in the weak sense. Studies of people with brain damage shows there's a lot of degradation possible.

4. Apr 18, 2004 #3
    Just curious. Exactly how does a study determine degradation of consciousness? It seems that we can only study brain activity and note the degradations there; which is not the same thing as measuring consciousness. Perhaps we need to sync up our definitions of this word?

5. Apr 18, 2004 #4
    I don't think that consciousness is divisible. I think we are either conscious or unconscious. One or the other but not partially or 1/4 conscious. We may not be fully aware or we may not be thinking or functioning normally; but, we are still conscious.
    How could one be a little bit conscious. We can drift in and out of consciousness like we do with sleep in the mornings; but I can't see how we could be a little bit conscious.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?