Is Constant Temperature Required in the Proof of Helmholtz Free Energy?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 2K views
Physics news on Phys.org
yes, but you could get the equation ##dw \leq-dA## without assuming T=constant anywhere?

I mean, from what I can see, all they do is use the 1st law of thermodynamics and the general fact that ##dQ \leq TdS##. So shouldn't the result they get, ie ##dw \leq-dA##, apply regardless if T is constant or not during the whole process?
 
I also don't see why constant temperature should be necessary.
 
Nikitin said:
yes, but you could get the equation ##dw \leq-dA## without assuming T=constant anywhere?

I mean, from what I can see, all they do is use the 1st law of thermodynamics and the general fact that ##dQ \leq TdS##. So shouldn't the result they get, ie ##dw \leq-dA##, apply regardless if T is constant or not during the whole process?

Well, the differential equality for Helmholtz free energy is:

[itex]dA = -S dT -p dV = -S dT - dW[/itex]

It seems to me that if [itex]T[/itex] is not constant, then the term [itex]-S dT[/itex] could be either positive or negative, depending on whether the temperature is increasing or decreasing.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person
stevendaryl said:
Well, the differential equality for Helmholtz free energy is:

[itex]dA = -S dT -p dV = -S dT - dW[/itex]

It seems to me that if [itex]T[/itex] is not constant, then the term [itex]-S dT[/itex] could be either positive or negative, depending on whether the temperature is increasing or decreasing.

You are right. The point is that in general, dA =dU -dTS. This only reduces to dA=dU-TdS if T is constant.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person