Why does Callen insist a process must be reversible here?

In summary: But as far as I can tell there is no finite temperature gradient (since the primarhy system is held at the reservoir temperature ##T^r##); that is, all of the processes you have outline there are not quasistatic, right? I'm not sure they then apply as counterexamples?No, they do not apply as counterexamples.
EE18
In a discussion about the (change in the) Helmholtz potential being interpretable as the maximum available amount of work for a system in contact with a thermal reservoir (i.e. the free energy), Callen seems to insist this fact is true only for reversible processes. Why should this be? I understand that any quasistatic process performed in contact/equilibrium with a thermal reservoir (as is the case here) will necessarily be reversible (since heat exchange proceeds at the same temperature), but to my reading Callen's emphasis on reversible seems to suggest there's something extra here I am perhaps missing? After all, as far as I can tell we must have ##dW_{RWS} = -dU - dU^r## by pure energy conservation for any process.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-07-01 at 7.08.12 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-07-01 at 7.08.12 PM.png
    48.6 KB · Views: 37
Science news on Phys.org
My understanding of how this works is as follows: The first law of thermodynamics tells us that $$\Delta U=Q-W$$. For a system that can only exchange heat with an reservoir at temperature T, and for which the initial and final equilibrium states of the system are also at temperature T, the 2nd law of thermodynamics tells us that $$\Delta S=\frac{Q}{T}+\sigma$$where ##\sigma## is the amount of entropy generated (positive) due to irreversibility within the system. If we combine these two equations, we get $$\Delta F=\Delta U-T\Delta S=-W-T\sigma$$or$$W=-\Delta F-T\sigma$$So the maximum work in going from the initial state to the final state is ##W_{max}=-\Delta F##, and occurs when there are no irreversibilities.

Chestermiller said:
My understanding of how this works is as follows: The first law of thermodynamics tells us that $$\Delta U=Q-W$$. For a system that can only exchange heat with an reservoir at temperature T, and for which the initial and final equilibrium states of the system are also at temperature T, the 2nd law of thermodynamics tells us that $$\Delta S=\frac{Q}{T}+\sigma$$where ##\sigma## is the amount of entropy generated (positive) due to irreversibility within the system. If we combine these two equations, we get $$\Delta F=\Delta U-T\Delta S=-W-T\sigma$$or$$W=-\Delta F-T\sigma$$So the maximum work in going from the initial state to the final state is ##W_{max}=-\Delta F##, and occurs when there are no irreversibilities.
I think I see; if it's OK, I just want to follow-up since Callen has not (yet) introduced explicit notion like ##\sigma## quantifying the extent of the irreversibility. Is it possible Callen is arguing as I have? That because the heat transfer is assumed quasistatic (by writing ##dS + dS^r = 0## in the first place), that then implies the reversibility (since heat transfer is at the same temperature)?

Last edited:
Likes TonyStewart
EE18 said:
I think I see; if it's OK, I just want to follow-up since Callen has not (yet) introduced explicit notion like ##\sigma## quantifying the extent of the irreversibility. Is it possible Callen is arguing as I have? That because the heat transfer is assumed quasistatic (by writing ##dS + dS^r = 0## in the first place), that then implies the reversibility (since heat transfer is at the same temperature)?
No. Irreversibility within a system is caused by transport processes within a system proceeding at finite rates:
1. Heat conduction occurring at finite temperature gradients
2. Viscous dissipation occurring at finite velocity gradients
3. Molecular diffusion occurring at finite concentration gradients
In addition, irreversibility within a system is caused by chemical reactions occurring at finite reaction rates.

I cannot relate to what is in Callen because I am strongly opposed ti using differentials for describing irreversible processes. In my judgment, it is bad practice to do this, and only leads to confusion.

Chestermiller said:
No. Irreversibility within a system is caused by transport processes within a system proceeding at finite rates:
1. Heat conduction occurring at finite temperature gradients
2. Viscous dissipation occurring at finite velocity gradients
3. Molecular diffusion occurring at finite concentration gradients
In addition, irreversibility within a system is caused by chemical reactions occurring at finite reaction rates.

I cannot relate to what is in Callen because I am strongly opposed ti using differentials for describing irreversible processes. In my judgment, it is bad practice to do this, and only leads to confusion.
But as far as I can tell there is no finite temperature gradient (since the primarhy system is held at the reservoir temperature ##T^r##); that is, all of the processes you have outline there are not quasistatic, right? I'm not sure they then apply as counterexamples?

I will abstain from using differentials to your point, but I think the question still stands, no? How come quasistatic does not imply reversible here (when heat transfer is at the same temperature).

In the irreversible case, even though the part of the system in contact with the reservoir is at the reservoir temperature (which is the same as the initial and final temperatures of the system), the temperature within the system can vary with spatial position during the process, and there can be finite temperature gradients within the system. If the process takes place rapidly, this will happen with compression heating or expansion cooling. The interior will be at a higher or lower average temperature than the boundary. For the process to be reversible, it must be carried out very slowly in order for the interior temperatures to equilibrate with the boundary.

EE18 said:
I understand that any quasistatic process performed in contact/equilibrium with a thermal reservoir (as is the case here) will necessarily be reversible (since heat exchange proceeds at the same temperature), but to my reading Callen's emphasis on reversible seems to suggest there's something extra here I am perhaps missing? After all, as far as I can tell we must have ##dW_{RWS}=−dU−dU^r## by pure energy conservation for any process.
I think all he means is that you're not losing work to dissipative processes, like friction sapping some of the available work. In other words, even if the heat exchange is done reversibly and the system evolves quasi-statically, the entire process would still be irreversible if some work is lost to friction.

vela said:
I think all he means is that you're not losing work to dissipative processes, like friction sapping some of the available work. In other words, even if the heat exchange is done reversibly and the system evolves quasi-statically, the entire process would still be irreversible if some work is lost to friction.
Frictional work will typically affect the amount of heat transferred.

I strongly recommend you see Moran, et al, Fundamentals of Engineering Thermodynamics, I believe available online. See Chapter 6 in particular. They show that there are only 2 ways that the entropy of a closed system can change:

1. By heat flow from the surrounding to the system Q at the temperature of the interface between the system and surroundings through which the heat flows. This mechanism occurs in both reversible and irreversible processes.

2. By entropy generation within the system by the mechanisms I mentioned in an earlier post. This occurs only in irreversible processes.

1. Why is it important for a process to be reversible in science?

Reversibility is important in science because it allows for the accurate measurement and understanding of a system. A reversible process can be easily reversed, meaning that the system can be returned to its original state without any loss of energy or information. This allows scientists to make precise observations and collect reliable data.

2. How does reversibility impact the accuracy of scientific experiments?

Reversibility ensures that the results of an experiment are reproducible and consistent. If a process is not reversible, it may lead to unpredictable outcomes or irreversible changes in the system, making it difficult to draw accurate conclusions from the experiment.

3. Can a process ever be completely reversible in science?

In theory, a process can be completely reversible in science. However, in practice, it is difficult to achieve complete reversibility due to factors such as friction, heat loss, and other forms of energy loss. Scientists strive to make processes as reversible as possible to minimize these effects and increase the accuracy of their experiments.

4. How does the concept of reversibility relate to the laws of thermodynamics?

The concept of reversibility is closely related to the second law of thermodynamics, which states that in any energy transfer or transformation, some energy will be lost as heat. A reversible process minimizes this energy loss, making it more efficient and in line with the laws of thermodynamics.

5. Are there any real-life examples of reversible processes in science?

Yes, there are many real-life examples of reversible processes in science. One common example is the reversible expansion and compression of gases in a piston-cylinder system, which is used in engines and refrigerators. Another example is the reversible melting and freezing of water, which is essential for life on Earth and many industrial processes.