Helmholtz Free Energy: Why is F Minimized?

In summary, the Helmholtz free energy is minimized at constant T and V at equilibrium for a closed system, where all parameters are constant and the second derivative is less than zero. This is because the system evolves to a state where the energy is minimal and the entropy is maximal, and all other parameters also reach equilibrium values. The statement also assumes that there is no mass transferring in the system.
Silviu
Hello! I read that the Helmholtz free energy is minimized at constant T and V at equilibrium. But I am not sure I understand why. So starting from ##F=U-TS## I got ##dF = \mu dN - pdV -SdT##. So at constant V and T we have ##dF = \mu dN##. Now I am not sure how does this implies that F is minimized and minimized with respect to what? Can someone tell me why is F minimized? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the statement you are referring to is missing to say that it is for a closed system, that is, there's not mass transferring (so ##dN=0##).

Mr rabbit said:
I think the statement you are referring to is missing to say that it is for a closed system, that is, there's not mass transferring (so ##dN=0##).
Thank you for the reply. However, if T, V and N (and hence p) are constant, then nothing changes in the system. Doesn't that means that F is constant, so it doesn't make sense to talk about a minimum? (Also, the context in which I read this is about chemical reactions, so dN changes i assume.)

It is assumed (and can be proved) that all parameters are constant at equilibrium. Think, for example, on an expansive system, so you take ##U=U (S, V, N)##; If you "drop" the system from an arbitrary state, always evolves to another state (equilibrium state) until the energy U is minimal and the entropy S is maximal. All parameters evolves too (p, V, T ...) and when the system reaches equilibrium state you get ##p=const ## (mechanical equilibrium), ##T=const## (thermal equilibrium), ##N=const## (chemical equilibrium).

Helmholtz free energy is the internal energy U but depending on temperature instead of entropy.

##F## being constant is only one prerequisite to be a minimum; you also need to show that the second derivative is less than zero.

1. Why is minimizing Helmholtz free energy important in thermodynamics?

Minimizing Helmholtz free energy is important because it represents the maximum amount of work that can be extracted from a system at a constant temperature and volume. It is a fundamental concept in thermodynamics that helps us understand the stability and equilibrium of a system.

2. How does minimizing Helmholtz free energy relate to entropy?

The Helmholtz free energy is related to entropy through the equation F = U - TS, where U is the internal energy, T is the temperature, and S is the entropy. Minimizing F means minimizing the difference between U and TS, which is equivalent to maximizing the entropy of the system.

3. What is the significance of F being a state function?

The fact that F is a state function means that it only depends on the current state of the system and not on the path taken to reach that state. This allows us to calculate the change in F between two different states without needing to know the details of the process that occurred in between.

4. How does minimizing F relate to the equilibrium of a system?

In a closed system, minimizing F leads to a state of thermodynamic equilibrium, where there is no spontaneous change in the system. This is because at equilibrium, F is at its minimum value and any further change in the system would require an increase in F.

5. Can F ever be negative?

Yes, F can be negative for certain systems at very low temperatures. This indicates that the system has the potential to do work and release energy, and is therefore not at equilibrium. However, as the temperature increases, F becomes positive and approaches zero at equilibrium.