Is current in a wire frame-specific?

In summary, the mainstream interpretation of current in a wire is that it is frame-specific. There is no frame in which the current is zero, unless the wire is charged. The four-current, which combines the charge density and current density, is invariant and therefore there will always be a non-zero current in all frames. However, in the frame of the moving charges, the magnetic field will appear to be zero due to the Biot-Savart law. There may be some confusion in the conversation about the definition of "being at rest with respect to the current" and the contribution of positive charges to the current.
DJ_Juggernaut
There is current flowing in a wire. An observer at rest with respect to current, says there is a magnetic field (B) around wire, due to current, I. [Biot-Savart law].

Now switch to someone moving at the speed of current. The current appears stationary to this someone. Therefore this someone says, I = 0, and therefore, magnetic field B = 0. Hence Biot-Savart law does not apply in this case. So goes the mainstream interpretation.

But I question this because for someone moving at the speed of current, the protons move in the opposite direction, hence, current I is not zero. Therefore B is not zero. Thus Biot-Savart law still applies to this someone.

My question is, is current in a wire frame-specific or not?

Physics news on Phys.org
The current can't be simultaneously zero and non-zero. There is a frame in which the current is zero, in this frame positive charges (usually associated with atoms) and negative charges (usually associated with electrons) are moving in opposite directions. If it weren't for relativistic effects, the density of charges would be frame independent and the velocities would be equal. Relativistic effects make the issue a bit more complex.

Assuming that there is no frame in which the current is zero just doesn't make much sense. There seems to be some disconnect here in how you are calculating current, perhaps you are ignoring the contribution of the postive charges in the wire to the current in a frame where the wire isn't at rest?

pervect said:
There is a frame in which the current is zero
This is not true unless the wire is charged such that the charge density is larger than the current density. If this is not the case the 4-current is space-like and there is no frame with zero current.

DJ_Juggernaut said:
An observer at rest with respect to current
There is no such thing as ”being at rest wrt the current”. You might be meaning with respect to the wire.

DJ_Juggernaut said:
Now switch to someone moving at the speed of current. The current appears stationary to this someone. Therefore this someone says, I = 0, and therefore, magnetic field B = 0. Hence Biot-Savart law does not apply in this case. So goes the mainstream interpretation.
Again, there is no such thing as wrt the current. There is no frame where the current is zero unless the conductor is charged.

Regardless, if you just consider a line of moving charges, the Biot-Savart law would still be correct - the magnetic field would be zero in that frame. The electric and magnetic field mix under Lorentz transformations.
DJ_Juggernaut said:
But I question this because for someone moving at the speed of current, the protons move in the opposite direction, hence, current I is not zero. Therefore B is not zero. Thus Biot-Savart law still applies to this someone.
Yes. This is the standard application of the theory.

Likes Dale
pervect said:
The current can't be simultaneously zero and non-zero.
If I am not mistaken this "is" the mainstream interpretation of current in a wire. If you ride along with current, the current is stationary. Therefore, to you, I = 0. Therefore B = 0.

DJ_Juggernaut said:
If I am not mistaken this "is" the mainstream interpretation of current in a wire. If you ride along with current, the current is stationary. Therefore, I = 0. Therefore B = 0.
No. This is definitely not the mainstream ”interpretation”. It only holds for a line of charges that is moving, which has net charge unlike a neutral conductor.

DJ_Juggernaut said:
If I am not mistaken this "is" the mainstream interpretation of current in a wire. If you ride along with current, the current is stationary. Therefore, to you, I = 0. Therefore B = 0.
The charge density, ##\rho##, and the current density ##\mathbf j## together form a four-vector called the four-current ##(\rho,\mathbf j)##. The norm of that four-vector is invariant, ##-\rho^2+\mathbf j^2##. So if that invariant is positive in one frame then it must be positive in all frames.

Under the usual setup where the current carrying wire is uncharged in the lab frame that invariant is clearly positive, and therefore there is no frame where ##\mathbf j = 0##

pervect said:
There seems to be some disconnect here in how you are calculating current, perhaps you are ignoring the contribution of the postive charges in the wire to the current in a frame where the wire isn't at rest?
Current is a flow of charge(s). What is the disconnect here? If you ride along with them, at the speed of current, then the current is stationary to you. That is, I = 0. This I believe is the mainstream interpretation of current. See quote below.

Feynman in a lecture: Because they are moving, they will behave like two currents and will have a magnetic field associated with them (like the currents in the wires of Fig. 1–8). An observer who was riding along with the two charges, however, would see both charges as stationary, and would say that there is no magnetic field.

DJ_Juggernaut said:
at the speed of current
You have been told already that there is no "speed of the current". There is a speed of the charge carriers, but that is different. The same current can be achieved by a small charge density moving fast or a large charge density moving slow.

DJ_Juggernaut said:
Current is a flow of charge(s).
A current is a flux of charges. This means that current is a measure of how many charges pass per unit time, but the same current can be due to a few slowly moving charges or many fast moving charges.

Edit: I guess the refresh button would have had some use ...

DJ_Juggernaut said:
If you ride along with them, at the speed of current, then the current is stationary to you. That is, I = 0.
No. The current due to the charges that carried the current in the rest frame of the wire might be zero, but that does not mean that the current is zero because in order for the wire to be neutral there must be opposite charges that will be moving in your new frame.

DJ_Juggernaut said:
Feynman in a lecture: Because they are moving, they will behave like two currents and will have a magnetic field associated with them (like the currents in the wires of Fig. 1–8). An observer who was riding along with the two charges, however, would see both charges as stationary, and would say that there is no magnetic field.
You seem to be misinterpreting Feynman. It seems as if he is talking about two particular charges here, not a current. There are no opposite charges to make the conductor overall neutral.

Orodruin said:
You seem to be misinterpreting Feynman. It seems as if he is talking about two particular charges here, not a current. There are no opposite charges to make the conductor overall neutral.
Ah, an important detail I missed.

1. What is current in a wire frame-specific?

Current in a wire frame-specific refers to the flow of electric charge through a wire. It is measured in amperes (A) and is the rate at which electric charges pass through a given point in a circuit.

2. How is current affected by wire frame-specific?

The current in a wire frame-specific is affected by various factors such as the material of the wire, its thickness, and the presence of any obstacles in the circuit. In general, thinner wires have higher resistance, which can decrease the current flow, while thicker wires have lower resistance and can allow for higher current flow.

3. What is the relationship between voltage and current in a wire frame-specific?

According to Ohm's Law, there is a direct relationship between voltage and current in a wire frame-specific. This means that as the voltage increases, the current increases, and vice versa. This relationship is described by the formula I = V/R, where I is the current, V is the voltage, and R is the resistance of the wire.

4. Why is it important to consider current in a wire frame-specific?

Understanding the current in a wire frame-specific is crucial for various reasons. It allows us to determine how much power a circuit can handle without overheating and causing damage. It also helps us in designing and optimizing circuits for specific purposes, such as transmitting electricity over long distances.

5. How is current measured in a wire frame-specific?

Current in a wire frame-specific is typically measured using an ammeter, which is a device specifically designed to measure the flow of electric current. The ammeter is connected in series with the wire, and the current can be read from the scale on the device.