Is differentiel equation needed ?

• Thread starter Purgum
  • Start date
In summary, if you want to calculate the growth rate of a tumor over time, you need to integrate over both the rate at which the tumor cells grow and the rate at which the cells die. The growth rate is proportional to the number of existing cells.
Purgum
If a tumor cell grows with rate m, and dies with rate n (m>n), their population number is P, after tme t, how can set up a mathematical fomuler for growth ? If i also have data from 100 patients, is it useful ?
Dos my problem have relations with differentiel equations ? How can i find exact growth at t time after all ?
VERY URGENT NEED HELP
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Dos my problem have relations with differentiel equations ?
Yes.
"Do you have to use calculus?" That depends on the dependency of m and n. Are they functions of time? If so then to find out how fast the tumor grows you will need to integrate over both m and n over a certain time interval and calculate the difference (hint: use linearity of riemann integrals for a nicer looking equation).

P.S.
You really shouldn't triple post.

Berislav said:
Yes.
"Do you have to use calculus?" That depends on the dependency of m and n. Are they functions of time? If so then to find out how fast the tumor grows you will need to integrate over both m and n over a certain time interval and calculate the difference (hint: use linearity of riemann integrals for a nicer looking equation).

P.S.
You really shouldn't triple post.
thank u, but my question is about htree differtn things :confused:

but can u explain to me basic things bout that? i don understand why how people can fomute that fomuler.. can u help ?

The formula you need will depend on exactly what you mean by rate. If you mean that the tumor cells grow at a constant rate of "m" cells per second and die at a constant rate of "n" cells per second, then its easy to see that the number of cells "t" seconds later is P(t)= P(initial) (m-n)t, because after every second there will be (m-n) more cells than before.

However, this is not the sort of growth you would expect from tumor cells. You would expect that if all of the cells are dividing indepently of one another, the rate of growth would depend on the current population. For example, if one cell divides once in one hour, and you only have one cell, the rate of growth for one hour would be 1 cell per hour. Now suppose you have a thousand cells. After one hour they each divide once, so you now have two thousand cells. This means the rate of growth for that hour is 1,000 cells per hour. Notice that the growth rate is propotional to the current population. I have been looking at the growth rate over finite intervalt by taking [tex]\frac {\Delta P} {\Delta t}[/tex] but with more and more cells dividing indepently of one another, growth rates over smaller intervals start making sense and we can make the approximation [tex]\frac {\Delta P}{\Delta t} \approx \frac {dP} {dt}[/tex] Now, if this is the sort of growth we're talking about, then "m" probably doesn't measure new cells per hour, but more likely new cells per hour per existing cell. Likewise "n" would be in cells lost per hour per existing cell. The net growth rate would then be (m-n) cells per hour per existing cell. The growth rate is proportional to the number of existing cells. Since the growth rate is [tex]\frac {dP} {dt}[/tex], the equation that expresses this idea is [tex]\frac {dP} {dt}= (m-n) \times P[/tex]

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It involves the use of derivatives to represent the rate of change of a function, and it can be used to model many real-world phenomena in various fields of science and engineering.

2. Why are differential equations important?

Differential equations are important because they provide a powerful tool for understanding and predicting the behavior of complex systems. They are used in many fields, including physics, chemistry, biology, economics, and engineering, to model and analyze a wide range of phenomena.

3. When are differential equations used?

Differential equations are used whenever there is a relationship between a quantity and its rate of change. They are particularly useful for modeling systems that involve continuous change over time or space, such as population growth, heat transfer, and electrical circuits.

4. Do all mathematical models require differential equations?

No, not all mathematical models require differential equations. Some simple systems can be modeled using algebraic equations, while others may require more advanced mathematical techniques. However, differential equations are necessary for modeling many complex systems that involve changing rates of variables.

5. How are differential equations solved?

Differential equations can be solved using various analytical and numerical methods. Analytical methods involve finding an exact solution using mathematical techniques, while numerical methods involve using computers to approximate solutions. The choice of method depends on the complexity of the equation and the accuracy required.