Exploring the Connection Between Mass-Energy Equivalence and String Theory

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of string theory shedding light on the concept of mass energy equivalence and its relationship with relativity. It also mentions the potential for string theory to provide a mathematical explanation for the transformation of energy into matter. The conversation concludes with a question about where to find discussions on string theory within a certain context.
Naty1
I was just wondering what string theory says, if anything, about mass energy equivalence...anyone have any insights...??

For example, I was wondering if there are mathematics formulated that can transform, say, an electron form of vibration into a massless energy vibration form...or how an energy string might be transformed into matter.

While relativity doesn't say what space is, string theory offers a possible space construct as string forms...maybe in the form of branes...maybe as a one dimensional string sweeping out a two dimensional form in spacetime...so I'm wondering if string theory might have other insights on relativity.

low and behold I did not find a string theory section here...under what heading are string theory questions discussed??

Physics news on Phys.org
Naty1 said:
low and behold I did not find a string theory section here...under what heading are string theory questions discussed??
I don't know string theory, so I will only answer this part. The answer is "Beyond the standard model".

E=mc^2 is a result of Special Relativity. As String Theory is fully Lorentz-invariant, i assume, the equivalence of energy and matter can be derived from String Theory as well.

Related to Exploring the Connection Between Mass-Energy Equivalence and String Theory

1. What is E= mc^2 in string theory?

E= mc^2 is a famous equation in physics that relates energy (E) to mass (m) and the speed of light (c). In string theory, this equation takes on a new meaning as it involves the energy of vibrating strings and their corresponding masses.

2. How does string theory explain E= mc^2?

String theory proposes that all particles in the universe are made up of tiny, one-dimensional strings that vibrate at different frequencies. These vibrations correspond to different energy levels, which can be calculated using E= mc^2. Essentially, the equation shows that energy and mass are interchangeable in string theory.

3. Is E= mc^2 the same in string theory as in traditional physics?

While the equation may look the same, the interpretation of E= mc^2 in string theory is different. In traditional physics, the equation represents the amount of energy released from matter. In string theory, it represents the energy contained within the vibrations of strings.

4. Can E= mc^2 be derived from string theory?

Yes, E= mc^2 can be derived from the fundamental principles of string theory. However, this requires advanced mathematical calculations and is not as straightforward as in traditional physics.

5. How does E= mc^2 impact our understanding of the universe in string theory?

E= mc^2 is a fundamental equation in string theory that helps us understand the relationship between energy and matter in the universe. It also provides insight into the fundamental building blocks of matter and the underlying structure of the universe.