1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is entropy the volume in phase space of energy E or LESS than E?

1. Sep 26, 2011 #1
    Hello,

I thought the statistical definition of entropy for an isolated system of energy E (i.e. microcanonical ensemble) was [itex]S=k \ln \Omega[/itex] where [itex]\Omega[/itex] is the volume in phase space of all the microstates with energy E.

However, if you take a look here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equipartition_theorem#The_microcanonical_ensemble
    there is the line
    so they use the volume in phase space where energy < E instead of the surface where energy = E. Do these notions coincide? I would think they'd conflict. Why do they say "by the usual definitions", I'm confused.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2011 #2
    I'm finding a source (Huang, Statistical Mechanics, 2nd edition, p134) that states [itex]S = k \log \Omega[/itex] and [itex]S = k \log \Sigma[/itex] are indeed equivalent up to a constant dependent of N. The reason for that, I don't seem to get, as the text is a bit too advanced for me atm.

In a way I'm willing to accept the equivalency (as it would clear up my problem), but there's one thing that bothers me: take for example a state of a certain system such that if you lower the energy, entropy goes up (think of a system with bounded energy), doesn't the [itex]\Sigma(E)[/itex] (= the volume in phase space where energy < E) definition make this behavior impossible, because surely (by definition) [itex]E_1 < E_2 \Rightarrow \Sigma(E_1) < \Sigma(E_2) \Rightarrow S(E_1) < S(E_2)[/itex]?

What am I overlooking?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook