Is euclid a good book for self-study?

In summary: Euclid's Elements: A Guide to the Study of Geometry" is a very good book for self-study.-Robin Hartshorne's "Geometry: Euclid and beyond" is a more advanced book, but is still accessible for self-study.
phynoldus
Hi, I am a thirteen year old boy with a great interest in math and physics.
I just want to ask which books is good for self-studying trigonometry all the way to physics?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you mean geometry? Euclid's Elements has good proofs but it may be difficult to learn from. Here is a book that should be better, and it seems to have a lot of knowledge packed into it.

As for more modern books, they are either grade-specific or advanced or very expensive. I could not find a cheap book to recommend.

If you are interested in geometry, then I can recommend the following 3 books:

Introduction to Geometry by Rusczyk
Geometry by Jacobs (1st Edition)
Kiselev's Geometry: Books I & II - Givental

I think in your situation, the book by Rusczyk would be best; it is designed for self-study. He is the founder of The Art of Problem Solving and I would highly recommend that you check out any and all of their other books. As for trigonometry, you can look at:

Trigonometry by Gelfand
Precalculus by Rusczyk

These are tough books, but they are great for self study.

I would not personally recommend Euclid to most people.

dustbin said:
If you are interested in geometry, then I can recommend the following 3 books:

Introduction to Geometry by Rusczyk
Geometry by Jacobs (1st Edition)
Kiselev's Geometry: Books I & II - Givental

I think in your situation, the book by Rusczyk would be best; it is designed for self-study. He is the founder of The Art of Problem Solving and I would highly recommend that you check out any and all of their other books. As for trigonometry, you can look at:

Trigonometry by Gelfand
Precalculus by Rusczyk

These are tough books, but they are great for self study.

Thanks. I have already ordered it from Amazon:)

If you bought the Art of Problem Solving books, they (AoPS) also offer online courses (even over the summer) for reasonable prices ($200-300). Just a thought if you are interested! Enjoy.

A warning: according to this page by Richard Rusczyk, the "Calculus Trap" is not about calculus and is not a trap. So his ideas don't seem too clear to me. Do I trust him to teach me better than a school can? Not sure about that. Hopefully his books are better than his articles.

I recommend Euclid above all other books. I suggest the beautiful paperback edition by Green Lion press. As a guide you may consult my free epsilon camp notes on my website at uga math dept, or buy the fantastic book by Robin Hartshorne, Geometry: Euclid and beyond.

Likes happyprimate
dustbin said:
If you bought the Art of Problem Solving books, they (AoPS) also offer online courses (even over the summer) for reasonable prices ($200-300). Just a thought if you are interested! Enjoy.

If i buy the books could i learn just from those or do i need the course aswell?

The books are completely sufficient on their own! I just suggested the courses in case you were interested, as I think they are a fine deal for someone who prefers a class setting.

Mathwonk's suggestion is great, also, but I would have struggled with that approach when first learning geometry (especially on my own).

dustbin said:
The books are completely sufficient on their own! I just suggested the courses in case you were interested, as I think they are a fine deal for someone who prefers a class setting.

Mathwonk's suggestion is great, also, but I would have struggled with that approach when first learning geometry (especially on my own).

Okey, thanks for the suggestion i will check it out!

Euclid in its orginal form (translated, of course) would be very, very difficult for a self-learner of any age, let alone someone your age. But there is a website that accompanies Euclid with Java applets and explanatory comments that is one of the true gems of the internet.

http://aleph0.clarku.edu/~djoyce/java/elements/elements.html

Difficult, but you'd be way ahead if you get through any of it. I would advise you pace yourself. Don't think you're going to get through all 13 books. If you get through just he first, you'll have an excellent grasp of geometry. Even half of the first. If you REALLY want to get something out of it, you should seriously sit there with a protractor and a ruler and follow the arguments in a physical way. The site posted by brocks and any help or commentaries you can find are good.

-Dave K

Related to Is euclid a good book for self-study?

What is Euclid's Elements?

Euclid's Elements is a mathematical treatise written by the ancient Greek mathematician Euclid around 300 BC. It is considered one of the most influential works in the history of mathematics, covering topics such as geometry, number theory, and algebra.

Is Euclid's Elements a good book for self-study?

Yes, Euclid's Elements is often recommended for self-study as it presents mathematical concepts in a logical and systematic manner, making it easy for readers to follow and understand.

Do I need any prior knowledge to study Euclid's Elements?

While some basic knowledge of geometry and algebra may be helpful, Euclid's Elements is designed to be accessible to readers with little to no prior mathematical knowledge. It is a great resource for beginners and advanced students alike.

Are there any modern versions of Euclid's Elements?

Yes, there are several modern versions of Euclid's Elements available, which often include explanations and commentary to help readers better understand the concepts presented in the original text. Some versions also include additional topics and exercises.

Can I use Euclid's Elements for practical applications?

While Euclid's Elements may not directly apply to modern practical applications, the concepts and logical reasoning presented in the book can help develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills, which can be applied in various fields.