Is force, which we show, right on test charge

In summary, the electric field lines due to two equal magnitude and same polarity charges will cross the margin bisecting the line joining the charges if the test charge is placed on the region of the first charge.
rahaverhma
As we draw the electric field lines due to 2 equal magnitude and same nature charges. But when we solve the question concerning the same case we take the resultant of forces due to both charges at a test charge in such a manner that the 2nd charge(let I put the test charge on the left side i.e. the region of 1st charge) is also exerting the force but it can't because the electric field line due to that charge actually never crossed the margin bisecting the line joining the 2 charges. Is it right?

Physics news on Phys.org
rahaverhma said:
As we draw the electric field lines due to 2 equal magnitude and same nature charges. But when we solve the question concerning the same case we take the resultant of forces due to both charges at a test charge in such a manner that the 2nd charge(let I put the test charge on the left side i.e. the region of 1st charge) is also exerting the force but it can't because the electric field line due to that charge actually never crossed the margin bisecting the line joining the 2 charges. Is it right?
Could you please post a diagram of the situation you are asking about? Is it something like this?

https://image.slidesharecdn.com/ele...1/95/electric-fields-11-728.jpg?cb=1237897460
electric-fields-11-728.jpg

Attachments

• electric-fields-11-728.jpg
    electric-fields-11-728.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 2,949
What line? What does your diagram look like? You can use the UPLOAD button in the lower right of the Reply box to Upload a PDF or JPEG of your diagram...

rahaverhma said:
Yes, sir. But I'm not putting test charge on the line because I know there I will be wrong . :cry::biggrin:
Sorry, I don't know

rahaverhma said:
when we solve the question concerning the same case we take the resultant of forces due to both charges at a test charge
Yes, that is always the case. The field and therefore the force is linear, meaning that the force due to both charges is the sum of the forces due to each charge individually.

1. Is force a measurable quantity?

Yes, force is a measurable quantity. It can be measured using instruments such as a force sensor or a spring scale.

2. What is the unit of force?

The unit of force is Newton (N) in the International System of Units (SI).

3. How is force related to test charge?

Force is directly proportional to the test charge. This means that as the test charge increases, the force also increases proportionally.

4. Can force be both attractive and repulsive?

Yes, force can be both attractive and repulsive depending on the type of charges involved. Like charges repel each other, while opposite charges attract each other.

5. What is the significance of showing force on a test charge?

Showcasing force on a test charge allows us to understand the behavior of charged particles in an electric field and how they interact with each other. It also helps in determining the strength of the electric field.