Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is Fortran 90/95/2003 worth learning?

1. Jan 5, 2006 #1
    It appears that the newer versions of Fortran might be the best environment for technical computing. Aside from Matlab at least. It also appears that very few entities use Fortran. Is Fortran 90/95/2003 worth learning if all I really want to do is put it on my resume?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 5, 2006 #2
    Looks to me like you answered your own question.

If Matlab is better and Fortran is in limited use; unless you have some reason other than a line on your resume; wouldn't your time be better spent adding something to your resume by studying something you're actually interested in?

Just thought you want to be talked out of it. Consider it done.:smile:

4. Jan 5, 2006 #3
    will you be doing high powered performance?

5. Jan 5, 2006 #4

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There is at least 40 years of legacy Fortran code out there, if not more. Fortran is useful to have a working knowledge of, maybe not too many courses out there but can be learned with a text and any free compiler on the street.

6. Jan 5, 2006 #5
    Not real high. I was trying to predict comet trajectories this morning though, and Matlab was chugging along at a rather slow pace. On the other hand, my CPU usage might balloon once I get my comets following realistic paths.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2006
  7. Jan 24, 2006 #6
    I find to Fortran90 to be highly useful. I use it essentially for all my modelling, and I use Matlab pretty much just for data analysis. As Transport pointed out, there are decades worth of legacy Fortran code out there still in use. Further, with MPI and HPF, Fortran90 is very useful for intensive computational work. Both the solar evolution model I use from LANL, and my own solar atmosphere work is Fortran based.

Here's the thing I guess: If you plan on doing major system modelling in a computer, using the computer system as a sort of lab to calculate results from theories that can then be compared to observational data, learn Fortran. If all you want is to data analysis (as opposed to data calculation) Matlab will be better.

See: http://www.lahey.com/PRENTICE.HTM

The letter is old, but his points are still valid.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?