Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Goto statement, mostly regarding Fortran

1. Jun 28, 2011 #1

fluidistic

Gold Member

Hey guys,
    I've read that Borek (a member here) was told that the goto statement was "bad" during the 80's. I myself did some research on the Internet about that and it seems that:
    1)Fortran used to have the goto statement up till Fortran 90.
    2)It has been eradicated since Fortran 95.
    3)In wikipedia one reads
    I'd like to know why it is considered as "bad" to use the goto statement, particularly in Fortran but I wouldn't mind if someone reply for another language.

And also, how would you modify this part of one of my codes:
    Code (Text):
    98 write(*,*)"In order to solve the linear system, do you want to use Jacobi(1)'s method or Gauss-Seidel(2)'s one?"
    read(*,*)p
    if (p==1) then
    call jacobi(n_max,n,tol)
    else if (p==2) then
    call gauss(n_max,n,tol)
    else
    write(*,*)"Please choose a valid option"
    goto 98
    end if
    It seems so intuitive and efficient that I'm really curious what's "bad" about it and what would be the "correct" version according to nowadays programmers.
    Thanks a bunch in advance! (I'm really eager to know!)

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 28, 2011 #2

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

My experience with Fortran ended with the extended version of Fortran 77 that was available on VAX and Prime computers, so I'll use C++ for my two goto-less versions. This one most resembles your version:

Code (Text):

cout << "In order to solve […]? ";
    do
    {
        cin >> p;
        if (p == 1)
            jacobi (n_max, n, tol);
        else if (p == 2)
            gauss (n_max, n, tol);
        else
            cout << "Please choose a valid option (1 or 2): ";
    } while ( ! ((p == 1) || (p == 2)) )

I personally would use the following version, which separates asking for the choice from actually performing the choices:

Code (Text):

// Find out which algorithm to use.

cout << "In order to solve […]? ";
    cin >> p;
    while ( ! ((p == 1) || (p == 2)) )
    {
        cout << "Please choose a valid option (1 or 2): ";
        cin >> p;
    }

// Perform the chosen algorithm.  At this point we are guaranteed
    // that p is either 1 or 2.

if (p == 1)
        jacobi (n_max, n, tol);
    else
        gauss (n_max, n, tol);

4. Jun 28, 2011 #3
    Goto statements in any language make for hard to read code and are an inefficient way to do things. Your example of code is very simple and easy to follow, so it does not fall into the above category, but for example,

Code (Text):
          do 110 i=1,2000
             if(a .ge. b(i)) then
                go to 110
             endif
             indx = i
             go to 112
     110  continue

indx = 2000
     112  z = float(indx-2)*c + c*(a - b(indx-1))/(b(indx) - b(indx-1))
    This is a very confusing snippet of code utilizing goto statements. Which is extremely hard to follow and see what is going on.

5. Jun 28, 2011 #4

I like Serena

Homework Helper

We like to call it "spaghetti".
    You can compare it to a rope that has become entangled.
    As you may know it takes a lot of skill and effort to discern how it is entangled.
    And it is a lot of work to untangle it. :smile:

6. Jun 28, 2011 #5

Mark44

I don't believe goto has been "eradicated" since Fortran 95. The wiki article on Fortran 95 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fortran_language_features) says this:
    "The simple GO TO label exists, but is usually avoided — in most cases, a more specific branching construct will accomplish the same logic with more clarity."

7. Jun 28, 2011 #6

rcgldr

Homework Helper

8. Jun 28, 2011 #7

gb7nash

Homework Helper

It's hard to follow and can get pretty insane if you have multiple goto's all over the place. Anyone trying to debug tons of goto's will probably throw their computer out the window.

9. Jun 28, 2011 #8

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Let's not make such a long spaghetti thread here! :wink:

(I think there are goto's in it! :surprised)

10. Jun 28, 2011 #9

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

One of the ideals of writing a program is that it should be self-documenting. A WHILE loop or a FOR loop are somewhat more descriptive than the equivalent construct built out of GOTO and IF-THEN statements.

Most commonly needed ways to control the flow of your program can be more concisely and clearly described via methods without invoking a GOTO statement. Many of the exceptions can be rearranged into a simpler program that doesn't use GOTO.

A lot of the GOTO hate is unwarranted, however. It's like the pirates vs global warming thing -- once upon a time GOTO was more or less all that was available, and people frequently wrote spaghetti* code. So people blamed GOTO as actually being the cause, rather than the lack of options simply being correlated with programming attitudes of the time.

And, of course, there is also some naivety of the form "if we forbid GOTO, then people can't write spaghetti code!" which motivates some more of the GOTO hate.

Sometimes, GOTO hate is taken to an extreme, turning into hate for BREAK, CONTINUE, some uses of exception handling, or even a RETURN that appears someplace other than the very last line of a function.

*: Spaghetti code is so named because it's not clear (or even impossible!) to tell what is happening in the program without paying very careful attention to the thread of execution as it winds through the program. Also, there is the subsequent problem that it is very difficult to modify the program.

11. Jun 28, 2011 #10

I like Serena

Homework Helper

For myself, I agree with your point of view on goto and other forms.

However, having worked in projects where lots of different junior programmers come along, I found it is best to keep the programming style rules simple and predictable.

12. Jun 28, 2011 #11

fluidistic

Gold Member

Thanks a lot to you all guys for the insights. Too much to answer for me!
    First, sorry I hadn't searched in PF about goto. The mentioned thread that rcgldr posted seems very interesting.
    About jtbell: Too bad I don't know C++ at all. But looking carefully at your code I can understand some stuff. However I do not see where is the "goto" statement in your first code.
    To Mark44, thanks for the link. Actually what I read on Fortran page seems different? Or my English is too bad so that I misunderstand. What do you say:
    What do you understand from this? What I understand is that Fortran 95 doesn't have the "goto" statement anymore.

And swartizm, here is your code:
    Code (Text):
     do 110 i=1,2000
             if(a .ge. b(i)) then
                go to 110
             endif
             indx = i
             go to 112
     110  continue

indx = 2000
     112  z = float(indx-2)*c + c*(a - b(indx-1))/(b(indx) - b(indx-1))
    Would that even compile?! I mean, I never seen
    Code (Text):
    do 110 i=1,2000
    Did you mean
    Code (Text):
    do i=110,2000
    ?

13. Jun 28, 2011 #12

Mark44

What they removed from Fortran 95 was the assigned GOTO statement, which is described here - http://www.nsc.liu.se/~boein/f77to90/a2.html. That's not the same as the plain old GOTO statement.

The code that swarzism provided is an older style (Fortran 77?). The line number in the do statement refers to the line number of a continue statement.
    Code (Text):

do 110 i = 1, 2000
    ! some stuff
    110 continue

The code in the preceding sample is equivalent to this code:
    Code (Text):

do i = 1, 2000
    ! some stuff
    end do

14. Jun 28, 2011 #13

fluidistic

Gold Member

Ah thanks, now I understand swartizm's code.
    About assigned goto statement, I'm not understanding the difference with the goto statement.
    For instance,
    For the first goto, I could write
    Code (Text):
    goto (100, 156, 200), 2
    . It would be the same as if I write
    Code (Text):
    goto 156
    For the second, if I understand well, I could write
    Code (Text):
    goto 354 (15, 98, 354)
    and it's the same as if I write
    Code (Text):
    goto 354
    The first looks like allowed in Fortran 95 while the second not.
    Hmm I'm sure I don't get it.

15. Jun 28, 2011 #14

chiro

Science Advisor

That's the thing. A goto statement is non intuitive for most programmers.

A goto is just a form of flow-control that does not have context information. Let me explain what I mean.

When you write branching code like an if statement: you can easily read the branching conditions in the if statement and see exactly what it is doing in terms of the criteria of the branch and change in flow control. You see what variables affect the change and you can follow what the program is doing.

Its the same sort of argument with loops both conditional and unconditional. Same with recursive functions: in all these examples you are able to relate easily the flow control of the program with the state space that is being read or written.

With the goto statement, it's hard to readily identify the type of context mentioned above, not only with respect to flow control in its own right (ifs, loops, select, case, function calls etc), but also its relation to the state space of the program.

16. Jun 28, 2011 #15

rcgldr

Homework Helper

I think the average person understands the concept of "goto", go to the store, go to Lombard Street, ... . The average programmer isn't going to have problems realizing that "goto xyz" transfers code to the line labeled "xyz:".

Rarely is goto used in a non-context mode. It's normally used as part of a conditional sequence such as if(...){ ...; ...; goto xyz;} That previous thread pretty much explained the situations where using goto would be good or bad:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=308782

17. Jun 29, 2011 #16

chiro

Science Advisor

Of course goto is easy to understand, but if you're a programmer with some experience, you are expecting clean structured code, and this kind of thing is disrupted with a goto statement. It's more of a forest from the trees approach: experienced programmers can look at well written code and decipher what the code is all about when the code is written well, but it can be very difficult to get this kind of grasp when the code is poorly written, and that includes unnecessary use of things like goto. Again I emphasize not just understanding what a single line of code does, but more along the lines of interpreting the whole subroutine at a higher level.

18. Jun 29, 2011 #17
  19. Jun 29, 2011 #18

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't care about "structured code".

I care about usable, readable, maintainable, and when appropriate, efficient code. When "structured programming" interferes with those goals, I don't use it, and neither should you.

(aside: I'm using scare quotes to emphasize the fact that "structured code" doesn't mean "code that is well-structured")

20. Jul 10, 2013 #19
    If you want to refactor, or get rid of, goto's in fortran code, there is a good free program for linux or windows, spag from polyhedron:
    http://www.polyhedron.com/pflinux0html
    This will refactor 60-80% of the goto's from your code.

I wrote a program I call remgoto that I use to remove all the remaining
    goto's from fortran code, but I am still testing before releasing it. Search for "remgoto fortran".

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook