Is \(\frac{a/b}{c/d} = \frac{ad}{bc}\) Always True in Mathematics?

  • Thread starter Thread starter embphysics
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Numbers Property
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
embphysics
Messages
67
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


The statement that is purported to be true is [itex]\frac{a/b}{c/d} = \frac{ad}{bc}[/itex]

Homework Equations


The Attempt at a Solution


So, I am going along with my proof, and I believe it to be going nicely. However, there is one step that I am unsure of:

[itex]\frac{\frac{a}{b} d}{c} = \frac{\frac{a}{b} d}{c} \cdot d \cdot d^{-1} \Rightarrow \frac{\frac{a}{b} d \cdot d^{-1}}{c d^{-1}} = \frac{\frac{a}{b}}{c d^{-1}}[/itex]. Now, what I want to do is [itex]\frac{\frac{a}{b}}{c d^{-1}} = \frac{\frac{a}{b}}{\frac{c}{d}}[/itex]. But I am having trouble justifying the step [itex]\frac{1}{d^{-1}} = <br /> \frac{1}{\frac{1}{d}}[/itex]
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
hi embphysics! :smile:

i'm not sure what formulas you're allowed to use :confused:

anyway, why not just multiply the RHS, ad/bc, by the bottom of the LHS, c/d ? :wink:
 
Well, the formulas and properties I am permitted to use are given in the first chapter of Spivak's Calculus. So, tiny-tim, I am not certain that that manipulation is defined.
 
embphysics said:

Homework Statement


The statement that is purported to be true is [itex]\frac{a/b}{c/d} = \frac{ad}{bc}[/itex]


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


So, I am going along with my proof, and I believe it to be going nicely. However, there is one step that I am unsure of:

[itex]\frac{\frac{a}{b} d}{c} = \frac{\frac{a}{b} d}{c} \cdot d \cdot d^{-1} \Rightarrow \frac{\frac{a}{b} d \cdot d^{-1}}{c d^{-1}} = \frac{\frac{a}{b}}{c d^{-1}}[/itex]. Now, what I want to do is [itex]\frac{\frac{a}{b}}{c d^{-1}} = \frac{\frac{a}{b}}{\frac{c}{d}}[/itex]. But I am having trouble justifying the step [itex]\frac{1}{d^{-1}} = <br /> \frac{1}{\frac{1}{d}}[/itex]

Why not just use the definition? ##A/B## is that number ##X## which, when multiplied by ##B##, gives you ##A##; that is, it is the solution of the equation ##BX = A##.