I Is frequency increased when pulsed?

Explanation: Let's say I have something generating a frequency of 60hz. If I pulse that frequency on and off, 10 times a second, does that amplify the distance that wave will travel through space? Let's assume the medium it is traveling through is consistent for the moment. If the 60hz penetrates into an object, say 10 inches, would pulsing the frequency 10 times a second, or faster the number is just an example, would that increase the penetration distance? Thanks in advance for answering a somewhat odd question.

russ_watters

Mentor
Explanation: Let's say I have something generating a frequency of 60hz. If I pulse that frequency on and off, 10 times a second, does that amplify the distance that wave will travel through space? Let's assume the medium it is traveling through is consistent for the moment. If the 60hz penetrates into an object, say 10 inches, would pulsing the frequency 10 times a second, or faster the number is just an example, would that increase the penetration distance? Thanks in advance for answering a somewhat odd question.
No, not unless for some reason making the emission intermittent allows you to increase the amplitude.

I assume we'tre talking about EM radiation...

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
Gold Member
You haven't really defined the problem well enough for a definitive answer.
It would have to depend on the waveform of the 10Hz 'pulses', If they are good, fast square waves then you could have harmonic components well up into the kHz range and depending on what supply leads were involved, some EM Power could well be radiated by the connecting wires.
You would need to specify what you actually mean by "penetrates into an object". The 60Hz alternating magnetic field around the wires would propagate through non metallic objects but would induce largely surface currents into a metallic object.

Tell us what you are trying to accomplish. Maybe we can help.