Is frictional force really a force?

In summary, frictional force is a type of force that opposes an applied force and results in a change in momentum. It can be considered a push or a pull, and is ultimately an electromagnetic force caused by the repulsion of electrons between two surfaces. Friction is a reaction force that only exists in the presence of another push or pull.
ngjingyi
Is frictional force really a force since a force is a push or pull? Does frictional force give a push or a pull if its really a force?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
A force is any thing that results in a change some thing's momentum.

Yes and yes.

thanks

Friction is a transfer of momentum, expressed and measured as a force.

D H said:
A force is any thing that results in a change some thing's momentum.
A force can also be applied with no change in momentum, such as the compression force of a vice on a spring.

Jeff Reid said:
A force can also be applied with no change in momentum, such as the compression force of a vice on a spring.

Or static friction.

ngjingyi said:
Is frictional force really a force since a force is a push or pull? Does frictional force give a push or a pull if its really a force?
I don't know if all are a push of pull, but I would think so -- friction can either be a push or a pull.

ngjingyi said:

Thanks

Oh, oh, oh. It took me reading all eight posts, and especially watters' before I understood your question. Maybe I can rephrase what I think you are asking.

Friction opposes an applied force. As the applied force can be in either direction or even zero, the force of friction varies too. So is it a force?

So pick a definition of force and see if friction fits the definition.

Newton said a body remains at rest or in a state of motion unless compelled to change by FORCES. so friction would seem to fit that definition. It always oppose motion and never aids it. KE is converted to heat.

It's an experimentally determined force (I think) and nobody has been able to calculate frictional coefficients (mu) from first principles; in other words, I know of no theory that provides the friction force between different materials.

Keeps me from falling every time I take a step, so I like it for that.

It would seem to me friction is ultimately an electromagnetic force. Anytime two surfaces come in close proximity there will be repulsion between electrons. If you have a rough surface then you might encounter more of these forces that might either resist or help start the motion of an object in contact with a surface because some of these interactions will be parallel to the motion or lackthereof. Seems reasonable to me anyway. It may be much more complicated, but this appears as a reasonable cursory explanation.

Last edited:
Phrak said:
Oh, oh, oh. It took me reading all eight posts, and especially watters' before I understood your question. Maybe I can rephrase what I think you are asking.

Friction opposes an applied force. As the applied force can be in either direction or even zero, the force of friction varies too. So is it a force?

yep thanks for rephrasing

Whilst i think you might struggle to define friction as either a push or a pull, i think from its effects it is one or the other. I.e. on a sloope does friction push or pull you back up the slope, or both?

However I think it is most important to realize that friction is a reaction force and only exists in the presence of another push or pull.

Related to Is frictional force really a force?

1) What is frictional force and how does it work?

Frictional force is a type of contact force that opposes the relative motion or tendency of motion between two objects in contact. It is caused by the interaction between the microscopic bumps and ridges on the surfaces of the objects. This force acts in the opposite direction of the motion, making it harder for the objects to move.

2) Is frictional force really a force?

Yes, frictional force is considered a force because it is a push or pull that can cause a change in motion or direction of an object. It can also cause objects to accelerate or decelerate depending on the direction of the force.

3) How does frictional force affect motion?

Frictional force can either increase or decrease the motion of an object. If the force is in the same direction as the motion, it will slow down the object. If the force is in the opposite direction, it can cause the object to speed up.

4) Can frictional force be eliminated?

No, frictional force cannot be eliminated completely. However, it can be reduced by using lubricants or by using smoother surfaces on the objects in contact. This reduces the amount of interaction between the surfaces and therefore reduces the frictional force.

5) What are some real-life examples of frictional force?

Some common examples of frictional force include the force between car tires and the road, the force between a pencil and a paper, and the force between a shoe and the ground. Any situation where two objects are in contact and one is moving or trying to move can experience frictional force.