Discover the Truth About Giancoli Physics: Is It Really Worth Buying?"

• Thread starter Entanglement
  • Start date
In summary: People who like those texts are not going to like Giancoli. I don't think it's terrible, but I do think that if you're looking for an in-depth, comprehensive physics book, you're going to be disappointed.In summary, people who have used Giancoli Physics: Principles and Applications generally recommend it, but there are some people who prefer books like K&K or French for waves. It's not terrible, but I think if you're looking for an in-depth, comprehensive physics book, you're going to be disappointed.
Entanglement
Giancoli Physics : Principles and Applications has got really great reviews on Amazon, and it is recommended on the Collegeboard website for AP Physics. I was excitedly going to buy it.
Recently, some members here said that this book is worthless and crap. I definitely trust those memebers' opinions more than Amazon's reviews.That made me so hesitant and hopeless as I'm in a desperate need of finding a decent algebra based textbook, and I don't have time right now to study calculus.
Should I just buy it? Could you tell me what's your opinions in this book ?
Is there any alternative ?
I appreciate this wonderful community and thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I vaguely remember learning from Giancoli…way back when. But I don't really remember anything about it.

Did the aforementioned members explain why they think the book is crap?

olivermsun said:
Did the aforementioned members explain why they think the book is crap?

No, it wasn't clear why.

I think the consensus of many people is that the standard, commercial introductory physics textbooks are around the same quality (Halliday Resnick & Walker, Giancoli, Serway, Young & Freedman, etc.). None are clearly superior to another. Since this is probably your first taste of physics, just use whatever your teacher uses, learn the basics from it and you will gradually learn more as you proceed through your education.

By the way, the quality is not that great of any of them from what I read on these forums. But you should realize the people saying that are seasoned in physics so they probably don't like it because usually they are unsatisfactory in their details of derivations.

Likes Entanglement
I used Giancoli in my first calculus-based physics. I think it's pretty decent. I don't know what the big problem with it is, although it's been a long time since I've studied from it. To be sure, it's not the deepest book, but I think it's sufficient for an introduction. There are books like Spivak's Physics for Mathematicians that might do better on stuff like the motivation for Newton's laws. I don't think that it's mandatory that you should delve into that at the beginning, though.

Oh, BTW, the top reviews on Amazon are paid by the publishers to the writers via Amazon. :)

Calculus makes some parts of physics make a lot more sense and makes some of it much easier than having to try to stick to Alegebra based methods. Even very basic calc that can be very quickly picked up can help.

As far as the book getting poor reviews, I think many here prefer a different approach than the general texts provide. Stuff like K&K for Mechanics and French for waves and Purcell for E&M and such

1. Is Giancoli's textbook really bad for teaching physics?

It depends on what you consider "bad." Giancoli's textbook can be a useful resource for learning physics, but it may not be the best fit for everyone. Some students may find the explanations difficult to understand, while others might appreciate the clear and concise writing style.

2. Are there better alternatives to Giancoli's textbook?

Yes, there are many other textbooks available for learning physics. Some popular alternatives to Giancoli include "Fundamentals of Physics" by Halliday and Resnick, "University Physics" by Young and Freedman, and "Concepts of Physics" by Hewitt. It's important to find a textbook that suits your learning style and needs.

3. Why do some people think Giancoli's textbook is not good?

There could be a variety of reasons why some people may not like Giancoli's textbook. Some may find the explanations too complex or not detailed enough, others may not like the organization or structure of the book, and some may have had a negative experience with the textbook in the past.

4. Is Giancoli's textbook suitable for all levels of physics?

Giancoli's textbook is designed for introductory physics courses, so it may not be suitable for more advanced levels of physics. However, it can still be a useful resource for reviewing basic concepts and principles.

5. How can I determine if Giancoli's textbook is right for me?

The best way to determine if Giancoli's textbook is right for you is to preview the book before purchasing or using it for your class. Take a look at the table of contents, read a few chapters, and see if the writing style and explanations resonate with you. It's also helpful to ask for recommendations from peers or your instructor.