Is Gravity Constant Regardless of Slope?

In summary, according to Buzz, gravity is not a constant. Walking uphill is harder because your body has to do more work than walking on a flat surface. The amount of work needed is the increase in your body's potential energy. The force of gravity between two objects depends on the distance between the objects and the masses of the two objects. The force between you and the Earth depends on how far from the center of the Earth you are. The center is on the inside.
michaelsrk
Based on my thinking if gravity was a constant wouldn't it be equally hard to walk up a hill versus walking on a flat surface or even going down? Too me it seems like the steeper the angle the more gravity and smaller angles would be less gravity.

So it is pushing you against an angle.

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Hi michaelsrk:
I think you need to understand gravitational potential energy. The following may help.
Walking up a hill is harder because your body has to do more work than walking on a level surface. The amount of work needed is the increase in your body's potential energy.

"Gravity is NOT a constant". The gravitational constant is a constant. That is, it doesn't change with respect to time or place. See

The force of gravity between two objects depends on the distance between the objects and the masses of the two objects. The force between you and the Earth depends on how far from the center of the Earth you are.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Buzz

Last edited:
michaelsrk said:
Based on my thinking if gravity was a constant wouldn't it be equally hard to walk up a hill versus walking on a flat surface or even going down

Well, the strength of gravity can be approximated as being constant here on the surface of the Earth, but it is obviously more difficult to walk uphill vs walking on a flat surface or going downhill. This is because you have to do work against gravity when going uphill that you don't have to do otherwise. And when going downhill you can let gravity do the work for you, so that is usually much easier.

Yes that does help, that's interesting. So where is the center of the earth?

michaelsrk said:
So where is the center of the earth?

About 6300 km underneath you. :biggrin:

michaelsrk said:
Yes that does help, that's interesting. So where is the center of the earth?
Hi michaelsrk:
I do not understand what confuses you about "the center of the Earth". The center of the Earth is like the center of a ball. Where is the center of a ball?

Regards,
Buzz

Last edited:
You are looking at it from being inside the ball where I am looking at it as being on the ball.
I think for an object spinning in circles which a gravitational force would be 0 at the top of the spin and at the bottom. I think if the object was rolling the objects center would be at the left and right.

michaelsrk said:
You are looking at it from being inside the ball where I am looking at it as being on the ball.
Hi michaelsrk:

The center is on the inside. It is NOT on the surface.

Regards,
Buzz

so then the center is equal to a flat space and as you get further from the center it becomes more round and gravity would be equal in all directions?

michaelsrk said:
so then the center is equal to a flat space
The center is a POINT, not a flat space. For a sphere, like a ball, It is the same distance from every point of the surface. Since the Earth is only an approximate sphere, it's center is approximately the same distance from every place on the surface.

If you went to the center and stood on it would all distances not equal 0? so then as you got further away from that center the angle would increase?

Michael, I'm having trouble following you. Can you clearly state your setup and question?

Certainly. If the center of the Earth is at the core and all points at the center =0 doesn't that mean http://[PLAIN]http://images.algebraden.com/geometry/big/construct-90-degree-angle-with-compass-6.jpg [Broken] all equal distances from the zero point =90?

cfnnZS.png
maybe this is a better depiction.

or

circles based on the center to d
k8wOVe.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi michaelsrk:
I suggest that you might be best able to learn about gravity by asking the librarian either at your school, or at a library near where you live, to recommend a suitable introductory book on the topic.

In the mean time, I will try to help you express your questions a bit better.
michaelsrk said:
all points at the center =0
The use of "=" does not communicate. Also "all points" is confusing. The center is just one single point.
I am guessing that what you mean is that the distance of the center point from the center point is a zero distance. Is that what you have in mind?

michaelsrk said:
all equal distances from the zero point =90?
I cannot even guess what you mean by this.

By the way, would you mind posting the school grade you are in?

Regards,
Buzz

from the center of the first fixed point of the circle to the next center would be 0. traveling on a 90 degree angle gives you each distance from the first 0 point to the second 0 point.

I have a g.e..d and degrees in pre apprentice electricity and smart meter technician.

ipG1Jy.png

This is how you would calculate further 0 points.

0EbcHc.png
here is a semi-3 dimensional image. each new zero point would continue to connect.

Last edited:
Hi michaelsrk:
We are having a vocabulary usage difficulty.
michaelsrk said:
the first fixed point of the circle
I don't understand what this means. I don't understand "the first fixed point", and I don't understand "the circle".
I am guessing that by "the circle" you mean some circle on the surface of the earth. If you mean a circle of some East or West longitude, you can give it some identity by specifying degrees E or W. If you mean some other circle, you need to explain what it is. I can't guess what you mean by a "fixed point".

Since you are no longer in school, I suggest you go to the city or town library nearest you and ask the librarian for help.

Also I can't see the images you have put into your posts. How do you generate these images?

Regards,
Buzz

Unfortunately I cannot see any of your links.

michaelsrk said:
from the center of the first fixed point of the circle to the next center would be 0. traveling on a 90 degree angle gives you each distance from the first 0 point to the second 0 point.

Hold on. The distance between two points is never zero. If it is, you don't have two points, only one.

michaelsrk said:
If you went to the center and stood on it would all distances not equal 0? so then as you got further away from that center the angle would increase?

If you are at the center of a circle or sphere, then moving outward, directly away from the center (known as the radial direction), does not change your angle.

Buzz Bloom said:
Hi michaelsrk:
We are having a vocabulary usage difficulty.

I don't understand what this means. I don't understand "the first fixed point", and I don't understand "the circle".
I am guessing that by "the circle" you mean some circle on the surface of the earth. If you mean a circle of some East or West longitude, you can give it some identity by specifying degrees E or W. If you mean some other circle, you need to explain what it is. I can't guess what you mean by a "fixed point".

Since you are no longer in school, I suggest you go to the city or town library nearest you and ask the librarian for help.

Also I can't see the images you have put into your posts. How do you generate these images?

Regards,
Buzz

Each new point created represents 0. going from the point of the center to the new centers (zero points, which I mean by where zero would connect again too the next 0.)
http://imageshack.com/a/img923/4547/ipG1Jy.png
[PLAIN]http://imageshack.com/a/img923/4547/ipG1Jy.png[PLAIN] [Broken]

Here I took four 90 degree angles and rotated them to form an overlapping pattern of where 0 is in the very center of this graph(it looks like a square with an x through it). this is now a 3d image where spheres turn into circles and circles turn into spheres. Using the distances of "d" to create equal circles from the center of the square that forms in the actual center.[/PLAIN]

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi michaelsrk:
What does one circle in your image represent, say for example the particular circle nearest to the origin of your graph towards the north-east?

Regards,
Buzz

Buzz Bloom said:
Hi michaelsrk:
What does one circle in your image represent, say for example the particular circle nearest to the origin of your graph towards to north-east?

Regards,
Buzz

Yes northeast is equal distances to southwest northwest is equal to south east.

can I make it more 3d in 2d?

michaelsrk said:
Yes northeast is equal distances to southwest northwest is equal to south east.

can I make it more 3d in 2d?

But what does each circle represent? How do they relate to your question regarding gravity?

Drakkith said:
But what does each circle represent? How do they relate to your question regarding gravity?
using 4 equal 90 degree angles to equal a full 360 degrees in each direction it is a circle that reconnects at new "zero points(90 degrees in equal distances.)" which is where the circle connects to the next circle. based on http://imageshack.com/a/img923/2838/zyiDnq.png these new points I have created in crimson represent what an equal gravitational field would like using the second zero points to represent another 360 degrees created.

The crimson points would create the next points that are equal distance from each other based on 4 180 degree angles.

I am saying that the effects gravity have on the core would be an equal magnitude to these four new points(in crimson)

So we go from standing on the core of the Earth to standing to standing on 4 point equal that are new.

michaelsrk said:
using 4 equal 90 degree angles to equal a full 360 degrees in each direction it is a circle that reconnects at new "zero points(90 degrees in equal distances.)" which is where the circle connects to the next circle.
Why do you need these multiple circles to discuss gravity. Gravity is about the force between objects (as well as more complicated arrangements of matter not relevant to your question).
Are these multiple circles intended to represent multiple objects?

It represents gravity moving equally from the center outward and then from outward to outward.

I can't make heads or tails of what you're trying to say. I'm sorry but you need to start with much simpler examples and learn the basics of gravitation before trying to tackle problems like this.

Thread locked.

Likes davenn

1. Is gravity really a constant?

Yes, according to the theory of general relativity, gravity is a fundamental force that is constant throughout the universe. This means that the strength of gravity does not change with location or time.

2. How do we know that gravity is a constant?

Scientists have conducted numerous experiments and observations that confirm the constancy of gravity. For example, objects of different masses will fall to the ground at the same rate, regardless of their composition or location on Earth.

3. Can gravity ever change?

In certain extreme conditions, such as near black holes or during the early stages of the universe, the effects of gravity may appear to be different. However, the underlying force of gravity remains constant.

4. What about the theory of relativity and the role of gravity?

The theory of relativity, specifically general relativity, explains how gravity works in the universe. It is a mathematical framework that describes the relationship between space, time, and gravity. This theory supports the notion that gravity is a constant force.

5. Are there any ongoing studies or research about the constancy of gravity?

Yes, scientists are continuously studying and researching gravity to better understand its properties and effects. This includes studying its behavior in extreme environments and exploring potential connections to other fundamental forces, such as the strong and weak nuclear forces.